PDA

View Full Version : Text Problems Importing CAD Details

KELLI
2007-07-13, 05:53 PM
When I import a 2D detail from AutoCAD, there seems to be some distortion with text placement/alignment and leaders/arrows. Is there any way to fix this, or do I just have to reside to the fact that I need to rebuild all my details in Revit?

Thanks,

Kelli

sbrown
2007-07-13, 06:08 PM
If you are commited to long term Reviting, rebuild your details. Make sure you spend the time creating detail components for things, don't just use lines and filled regions. If you must use the cad, just re do the text notes in revit and turn off the text layer in the detail.

MNsnowtaTy
2007-07-13, 06:22 PM
I was doing the exact same thing, but I was switching the text and leaders to the required text and size for the standards of where I'm working. I too changed my hatches to Revit filled regions and made custom filled regions for those hatches that don't exist as filled regions. It did llok 10x better after too and was easier to change.

cdetore
2007-07-13, 07:10 PM
I agree with Scott, this is a task worth doing. It might seem time consuming at first, but gets easier as you go.

We maintain a project file filled with our standards details. It is great for putting detail sheets together quickly. Since they are all in one file we can ensure that all dimension and text styles are standardized and up to date with our template.

Also, reducing the number of CAD files placed in your project can help keep the file size down.

CD

KELLI
2007-07-14, 05:52 PM
My ultimate goal is to get it done "the right way" with detail components, but I'm under pressure to finish my pilot project for Revit and I was hoping I wouldn't have to convert all my CAD details right now. Thanks for the advice!

Kelli

phyllisr
2007-07-16, 04:34 PM
Is there any way to fix this...
Sometimes, understanding why this happens is the first step to saving time and effort. We do recreate details in Revit and do not use AutoCAD links but we also use the AutoCAD text pretty successfully depending on the goal and the type of detail. Here are a few tips and tricks that may help and may make things easier.
Revit does not interpret manual line breaks, tabs or indentation that AutoCAD allows. You will have better luck if you remove any formatting from AutoCAD before you import and explode.
For large text boxes with notes, I have found that copy-paste from AutoCAD to a Revit text box gets the best results. See attached image.
Line spacing options are more sophisticated in AutoCAD than Revit. If you ignore this all together, you may get tighter (or looser) spacing than you expect. We make certain that the text style in AutoCAD is exactly the same as the text style in Revit. If you tinker with the settings highlighted in the second clip, importing and exploding may be a little smoother. Our standard is Arial Narrow 3/32" so the attached settings seem to be pretty close.
If you have multiple lines of MText of different Defined Widths (highlighted in green in the second clip), you have less chance of everything aligning as you expect. I have great luck if I make the Defined Width huge. Then, there is no individual "DTEXT" sections in Revit and you can then retain "MText" in Revit and control the width after the fact.
Do not forget to purge all the unused AutoCAD text. Hope this helps.

Teresa.Martin
2007-07-16, 04:56 PM
Besides all the great tips posted here, if you set up your leaders, text, etc. to match what you have in Revit, the importing will be nearly seamless. That is to say, if you are using Arial 1/8" with solid fill arrows in Revit, change your text and leaders in Autocad to match that. Use Arial instead of say a SHX font, etc.
Best regards,

ghayes
2007-07-16, 09:21 PM
We also use a separate Revit details file to bring in Autocad details, even if it is not a standard detail but I want to rob from an Autocad file. Using a separate file for details allows me to clean up the file before importing the detail into my project file. So, I import one Autocad detail at a time into my Revit detail file (which will have many details in it), then purge the file after I am done cleaning up that detail. I stand less chance of importing Autocad items, hatches, text styles, etc. and bogging down my project. Then, we use the Insert from File > Views command to bring in the drafting views.

phyllisr
2007-07-17, 03:45 PM
Using a separate file for details allows me to clean up the file before importing the detail into my project file.
We have had pretty good luck using a "disposable" project to create the Revit detail and then using Save to New File... instead of manually purging all the residual "junk." We can then use Insert from File > Views from this "pristine" new file into the actual project. This also allows us to maintain a Detail Project with clean drafting view details without having to purge each and every time we add one. We just open the network detail project and use the same Insert from File process. Next, dump the Save to New and the "disposable" project. The advantage is that Save to New File... strips anything and everything not in the specific drafting view and you get a new project with the absolute minimum of everything. Then, when inserted into the project you really want, project standards take precedence and it's as perfect and "Revit-Like" as possible.

kenmarcus
2007-07-17, 07:40 PM
One solution that you should try before going back and changing and reformatting all of your fonts in AutoCAD is mapping your fonts in the shxfontmaps.txt file. This file is located on the local machine in Program Files/ Revit (version #)/ Data. What ever fonts you are using in AutoCAD (either .shx or Truetype) can add to this file and mapped to use the default font you are using for Revit. Then when you import your AutoCAD details, the fonts will match your text in Revit and I have found that this also resolves leaders and arrows issues. If you have linked your details, then make sure to under check Preserve Graphic overrides before your reload otherwise you will not see the font change

Unfortunately, this file can not existing on the server so you will need to copy to all machines and backup as it gets overwritten when you reinstall a newer build of revit.

tjhernacki
2007-07-18, 01:39 PM
One of the things that has not been mentioned is the sharing of the 'typical' drawing details that you are probably using right now. There are several sources such as AUGI and Revitcity for example. And as with all families some time you can get something close and with a little 'tweaking' you have exactly what you need with little time lost.