PDA

View Full Version : RAM steel into Revit Architecture?

phoulx
2007-07-13, 06:50 PM
Is there a way to import a RAM steel file into Revit Architecture? I'm finding solutions for Revit Structure but not Architecture. With RAM, the export options are .asa (for rebar), .stp (CIS/2) or .dxf. I've also got the option of RAM Cadstudio which uses the RAM .rss file to create a 3D .dwg (with ObjectARX). The purpose of the import is just to use as a background for the architect in Revit. There does not need to be any two-way integration, I'd be happy with just the graphics for now. I don't have the benefit of Revit, the architect doesn't have Revit Structural and we've never attempted this before. The CADstudio file sounded promising but creates a "file too large" error and will not import into Revit Arch. I'm guessing either this import is not possible, or there are user errors at some point. Anyone have success with this?

Melarch
2007-07-14, 11:20 AM
I am not that familar with RAM Steel, but it cannot be directly imported into Revit Architecture. Unless you can import the RAM Steel file into AutoCAD, save the file in AutoCAD and then import the AutoCAD file of the REAM Steel 3D elements. They will come in as static 3D components and will not translate or be schedulable in Revit, but the information will be graphically displayed.

Mel Persin, AIA
AEC Technology Consultant
Technology to Visualize and Realize Solutions
MasterGraphics, Inc.

phoulx
2007-07-16, 12:26 PM
I am not that familar with RAM Steel, but it cannot be directly imported into Revit Architecture. Unless you can import the RAM Steel file into AutoCAD, save the file in AutoCAD and then import the AutoCAD file of the REAM Steel 3D elements. They will come in as static 3D components and will not translate or be schedulable in Revit, but the information will be graphically displayed.

That's essentially what we're doing (RAM>ACAD>CADStudio>Revit Arch) but Revit still doesn't like the .dwg file that's created.

dhurtubise
2007-07-16, 03:01 PM
Did you tried through IFC ?

david.kingham
2007-07-16, 03:52 PM
Did you try dxf?

TroyGates
2007-07-16, 07:24 PM
I would suggest downloading the 30 day trial of Revit Structure to try out the process from RAM to Revit. It will probably give you the results you want.