PDA

View Full Version : Structure Beam Joins (was...Where is the logic?)

barathd
2007-07-15, 04:14 PM
Been struggling trying to get structural beam ends to intersect correctly. While doing this I ask myself why so much trouble - joins look terrible in plan - occurs to me did we really need a "cut hole in beam" tool (why not just draw model lines)? We can't do beam intersections properly without a lot of screwing around, nor can we cope a beam or profile cut a beam end - but we can make a hole in it. Seems like a grab bag of novelties - nothing of substance to add just go to the grab bag. Upcoming point release should be good for a few more of these.

ford347
2007-07-15, 04:51 PM
I agree. This has been a long standing issue as far as I'm concerned.

Josh

barathd
2007-07-15, 10:00 PM
"Cut hole in beam" is about as useful as the "footing" command.

Overconstrained
2007-07-15, 11:02 PM
It's possible to cut the end of a beam to any angle/shape you want using the "opening by face command". It doesn't necessarily have to be "a hole" as such. You will receive a warning (which I have ignored without any detrimental effects) and it works fine.

Cheers,
Dean.

barathd
2007-07-15, 11:20 PM
Dean:

Yes - may stand to be corrected - only in a single plane. Have you been able to shape a hip valley?

Thanks

Dick

Overconstrained
2007-07-15, 11:38 PM
Dean:

Yes - may stand to be corrected - only in a single plane. Have you been able to shape a hip valley?

Thanks

Dick
Hi Dick,

Yeah, that's probably the limitation I think. You can create a hip/valley cut in plan, but if the beam is sloping the cut is perpendicular to the top of the beam. I haven't played around with it in that situation much though. Could be worth investigating.

Cheers,
Dean.

barathd
2007-07-16, 12:46 AM
I have a glue lam structure with several such connections need to detail it every which other way to show the fabricated hanger - I'm thinking I will go to Sketchup and export the views to Autocad and then to Revit. No big deal - just wish Revit where a lot more flexible in its structural capability - not sure Revit Structure is all that much better. I am certainly not prepared to purchase Revit Structure for the difference. Guess for the time we're hooped. Haven't used Sketchup in ages - still stands the test of time for its versatility.