PDA

View Full Version : Circuiting and Recircuiting

seventwo
2007-07-16, 04:43 PM
A faster, more efficient way to assign device to different circuits.

Having Revit pick the next circuit in sequence is not always good. For example, you can't have spare circuits. Also, it's not very intuitive to have to remove a device from a circuit, and then add it again.

There should be a drop-down menu where you can choose the circuit yourself.

mjdanowski
2007-07-16, 04:58 PM
I think the way the circuits are added now is very good. I will usually set up and name my circuits first and then play in the panel schedule editor for a little bit to organize it.

My only complaints are that the GUI for the editor is a little odd and there is no way to "lock" the schedules in. It seems too easy to press a button and mess everything up. Also, if you have a fair sized project there is a bit of lag when adding stuff to a circuit.

Thats just me though, I can't complain against extra features, and I could see this being helpful.

seventwo
2007-07-16, 06:24 PM
That works great, but it still doesn't give you circuit editting on the fly. In my opinion, it's a pain going into Edit Circuit Mode or the Schedule Editor when all Revit needs is a drop down menu that'll let you change the circuit per device. Clicking on a device should also show the circuit it's currently on without having to tag it or go into properties, even though all of your devices should be tagged, theoretically.

Regarding your method of rearranging the circuits thru the schedule editor, it seems that shifting the already created circuits creates a spare. However, going back and adding a new circuit will fill the spare.

mjdanowski
2007-07-16, 06:35 PM
That works great, but it still doesn't give you circuit editting on the fly. In my opinion, it's a pain going into Edit Circuit Mode or the Schedule Editor when all Revit needs is a drop down menu that'll let you change the circuit per device. Clicking on a device should also show the circuit it's currently on without having to tag it or go into properties, even though all of your devices should be tagged, theoretically.

Regarding your method of rearranging the circuits thru the schedule editor, it seems that shifting the already created circuits creates a spare. However, going back and adding a new circuit will fill the spare.

I believe if you click on a device it will show you the circuit. (see attached) You have to have its workset open however (has to be editable)

And yes, the functionality of spares has much to be desired.

seventwo
2007-07-16, 06:38 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Well, what about having the drop down menu (to change the circuit) added to the toolbar when you select a device? Don't you think that would be helpful?

mjdanowski
2007-07-16, 06:56 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Well, what about having the drop down menu (to change the circuit) added to the toolbar when you select a device? Don't you think that would be helpful?

Depends how it is implemented. If you have a drop down menu with:

R1/1
R1/2
R1/3

Then that does not help me much as I don't have the individual circuits memorized. If you did it by circuit names however, that might be better. However with that, you then have to have a gigantic drop down menu which may get a little bit bulky.