PDA

View Full Version : custom AutoCAD object

Coolmo
2004-08-02, 07:57 PM
Can someone point me in the right direction for making custom objects

using VB? I'm refering to objects like the Grading object in LDD, not VB custom objects. I don't even know if this is possible using VB but if it is, I'd like to be able to create an object made up of multiple entities that can be accessed through a program that I write and manipulated through that program and returned to modelspace as a single object. Can that be done?

Ed Jobe
2004-08-02, 08:39 PM
To create new objects in that manner requires ObjectArx which requires that you code in C++. You can use classes to simulate an object. You can work with entities like you mentioned. The only thing is that you would still be working with regular acad lines, etc and regular acad commands would operate on them. But with a Grading object, you can only use LDD to edit the object. For example, I have some text utilities that work with AcadText objects in which I have created class objects that utililize AcadText objects as a base and I have added properties and functions to the text that allows me to do things not available in standard acad. But they are still acad text objects. I did not create a new entity. Your object could have a Entities property that is a collection object. This would store all the ents that make up your "object" so that your program would know what entities to work on.