PDA

View Full Version : topographic surface errors

mmiles
2007-07-16, 08:25 PM
Hi all,

I am attempting to use either the subregion or split surfaces tools but keep getting the following error:

"Topographical surfaces do not support surface patterns. The surface pattern associated with this material will not be displayed on the indicated surface."

It appears to be an error I can ignore, but when I make a split surface, the split area disappears from my view. Does anyone know what the error is referring to? Does anyone know where the spilt region gets sent?

I've used both of these tools before without getting this error. But, this is the first time I've used the site tools in RAC2008. The topo was originally made in v8.1 and then updated to 1st version of 2008. I also had already created a split surface on this topo when in the older version- without problem.

t.i.a.

Mr Spot
2007-07-16, 11:15 PM
The error refers to the material you have associated for the topo. It must have a surface pattern associated to it and this is why you are receiving the error.

As for the split area disappearing I haven't seen that before... Try removing the surface pattern from the material first and then try splitting it again...

Gadget Man
2007-07-17, 05:35 AM
(...) the split area disappears from my view. Does anyone know what the error is referring to? Does anyone know where the spilt region gets sent? (...) My suggestion would be to check your View Range. If your View Range includes only a some part of the toposurface, all of it will show. However, since, by splitting it, you created a different toposurface, if that new portion is outside of the View Range - it will not show. Check in 3-D View if you can see it - if yes, check your View Range in the view it disappeared...

mmiles
2007-07-17, 02:52 PM
I found a sub-region(s) that I created, and forgot about, to show patio and walks. The material applied had a surface pattern. I removed that and the warning messages went away.

However, before that, I checked VR but that did not seem to be the problem. Although, I did not check a 3D view to verify - I just set the view range to thousands of feet. I was able to create sub regions though, so I ignored the problem. Now, I am trying to test the VR, but I cannot "split" the surface I was working on yesterday, as it is now a "sub region" that cannot be selected to split. So, it appears that I cannot replicate the problem in the current session.

thanks for your input. I second the comments on some of the limitations of the site tools. I've been frustrated with using them in the past. Though, I enjoyed an earlier post/explanation of Jetisart regarding these tools (related to a "Pads" thread). That was helpful, too. thanks.