PDA

View Full Version : EXPORTING TO DWG AND TO LAYERS IN CAD

JONB.102117
2007-07-16, 10:42 PM
i want to export my Revit model to cad and have my walls go on my own wall layer and doors to go on my own door layer and so on instead of Revit choosing which layer to create.

any help is appreciated

JJ

Mr Spot
2007-07-16, 10:47 PM
You need to edit and create your own export layers file. This is done via File-->DWG Export Settings

mmiles
2007-07-17, 03:19 PM
I wish it were as simple to do as to say.

I have found that it appears to be one of the following: cumbersome and unreliable, or really possible for custom ACAD layering.

I admit that I am not a CADD Manager (not really) so standards and setups are not my forte, but when I tried to select different wall components, for example, to go to specific layers we use in ACAD that it didn't do what I expected. For instance, in ACAD we have layers to show the full, finished thickness of a wall, as well as specific layers for studs, sheathing, etc. When exported, after selecting different layer settings in Revit export setup, I found that all the wall materials from Revit went to only one layer in ACAD.

Also, I have found that when trying to rectify the problem from within the Revit export setup tools I was not able to change things like line weight or color without the entire category changing.

I end up using standard AIA layer export settings when I need to get things to our consultants. My assumption is the consultants will establish their own layer settings while turning our files to a single layer perhaps. This is fine for many things, but when I need to get something to someone within our own office, it doesn't really resemble our standards. That is a small, but very irritating problem. Thankfully, I don't need to do that too often.

seventwo
2007-07-17, 03:43 PM
Is there a way to export to DWG with families as blocks?

justin.taylor
2007-07-17, 03:52 PM
All objects such as doors and windows should export into AutoCAD as blocks using the obejcts family name as the name of the block.

http://www.revitup.co.za/_mgxroot/page_10811.html

seventwo
2007-07-17, 03:54 PM
Interesting. Using Revit MEP it didn't work this way.

I guess I'll have to post this in the MEP forum.

Thanks for the link.