PDA

View Full Version : How to Unconstrain a model

ejc
2007-07-23, 02:03 PM
I have a couple of new users that have gone "Constraint Happy".

Is there a way to unconstrained all locked dimensions?

or

Is there a way to make the dimensions show up so they can be manually unlocked?

I made a dimension style called "Constraints" that consist of all bright orange dimensions. This would allow the user to constrain a dimension, and mark it with the "Constraints" dim style. This would require said user to actuarially read me inner office emails!!!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

ejc

Chirag Mistry
2007-07-23, 02:15 PM
I don't think you can show all constraint dimensions at once.
One trick to achieve this,

1) Try to move your elements, if constrained Revit will give you an error.
2) Note down the Element ID of the dimension in the error
3) Use Tools > Select by ID and plug in the element ID's one by one
4) Once revit points you to the dimension unlock the dimension.

I know this is a painful time consuming way to achieve this, but I believe it's the only way.

Calvn_Swing
2007-07-23, 02:25 PM
Well, there is another way, but you must be brave...

Select everything you want to unconstrain (don't actually select everything in the model, be selective. I wouldn't do more than one whole category at a time, and probably less than that). Select the move tool, and check the "disjoin" option. Now, move all this stuff 0" in any direction. Your model should now be going commando (unconstrained so to speak).

You can also tell your users about this trick, and make them fix their own problem as they encounter over constrained elements.

twiceroadsfool
2007-07-23, 02:27 PM
I believe you can also select a Dimension, and right click > select all instances. If you then go to delete the dimensions, and they are constrained, you will get the warning "You are deleting a constrained object. Click OK to keep constraints, or unconstrain to unconstrain" or whatever it says

Now, i dont think you want to delete all your dimensions, but its one way, lol... Maybe select them all, copy to clipboard, delete and unconstrain, then paste > same place? Not sure itll work, but worth a try...