PDA

View Full Version : Underlay not displaying properly

mmiles
2007-07-24, 04:24 PM
I am working on a basement plan and need to show the 1st floor as an underlay to line up walls. The underlay is set to 1st floor, where I placed all sorts of objects. The underlay that appears only displays objects drawn on an intermediary level which is above the 1st and below the 2nd level. That intermediary level does not have a plan view associated with it. It is essentially a hallway/stair landing 4 steps below the 2nd level.

I also have a level beneath the 1st level called top of foundation which I use for attaching the top of basement walls. When I select that level as the underlay, only a few components (furniture) shows up as underlay. Those components are placed on the 1st level, though.

Is this a problem anyone has run into before?
Earlier, I had trouble getting a stair from the basement to the 1st level to appear on the 1st floor plan view. I ended up deleting the stair and modeling a new one to resolve the issue. But, I am beginning to wonder if there is a problem with my project file. any thoughts or comments would be helpful, thanks.

dbaldacchino
2007-07-24, 05:54 PM
Is it possible to post a stripped down version showing the issues? It's easier to troubleshoot.

bclarch
2007-07-24, 08:07 PM
Try switching to wireframe mode to see if the objects are indeed present in the view. If they are, switching off the floors will often make them visible in hidden line mode. Your view depth settings might need to be adjusted as well.

Calvn_Swing
2007-07-24, 08:54 PM
I think bclarch's suggestion will help. Still, it is quite impossible in some cases to get things the way they need to be for documentation purposes using the underlay options. Currently, you select a level, and "Plan" or "RCP" an that is supposed to work. Unfortunately, aside from objects obscuring the "underlay" and other issues, you aren't really selecting a view directly, but rather a level. If you want the underlay to look just like a view you have set up, too bad. Oddly, this is usually the behavior you expect and desire. Hopefully AutoDesk can switch this behavior. I'd much rather be able to "underlay" any view than have to pick levels. Heck, I might even like the ability to underlay a plan in an elevation, or vice versa. In those cases, the location of the elevation is set in two out of three directions, so you'd need to specify where it appears. Other than that, it should function pretty well...

Anyway, now I'm just rambling...

mmiles
2007-07-24, 09:48 PM
Try switching to wireframe mode to see if the objects are indeed present in the view. If they are, switching off the floors will often make them visible in hidden line mode. Your view depth settings might need to be adjusted as well.
Thanks, switching to Wireframe resolved my issue, though it is not a very satisfying solution. I do not have to do this on other plan views. For example, the 2nd floor as an underlay for the 1st works fine, and vice versa. But, I will not question it...for now.

AutoDesk support suggested that I need to maximize the 3D extents of all the levels in a new elevation view. I tried this before anything else and had no success. I also turned off floors in the working view, but that only revealed some things- like walls- but not all things desired. WF works all around.