PDA

View Full Version : DWG with xrefs import problem

truevis
2007-07-26, 12:23 PM
I would like to import a DWG into Revit for tracing. It looks proper in ACAD (attachment 1). When imported into Revit it's a big mess (attachment 2):Oops: . I'm thinking a workaround is to make very dumb DWGs, xrefs bound, with all appropriate layers removed -- lots of work and some AutoLISP programming involved.

Any other suggestions?

truevis
2007-07-26, 12:40 PM
Workaround I've just done:

Go into the vport in ACAD and do a wblock
Open the new DWG and bind the xref -- this still appears proper in ACAD.
Import that into Revit. Looks better, but what was the xref is unclipped.
Good enough for now, I suppose.

If only both products were owned by the same company...

bclarch
2007-07-26, 02:02 PM
You can go into the visibility settings in Revit and turn off individual layers of imported drawings. This should help make the drawing less cluttered (depends of course on how well the drawing's layers were organized in the first place).

When tracing a drawing I also override the color to something like red or orange. Then I make sure the drawing is set to be in the background. As I create my Revit model the items below disappear making it easy to determine what I have duplicated and what I haven't. Create the floors last so that they don't obscure the whole underlay.

truevis
2007-07-26, 03:52 PM
You can go into the visibility settings in Revit and turn off individual layers of imported drawings. This should help make the drawing less cluttered ...Yes, also there's a 'Layers: visible' option when importing. The problem is that Revit doesn't know what clipped xrefs are, thus shows the whole damn things.

However, I wrote a killer app this morning that takes a DWG and clips it and its xrefs for real. Then when you import into Revit, it's good. I based it on an old Bob McNeel app from 1988!

Use at your own risk...