PDA

View Full Version : Double Counting When Deleting Hosted Ceiling Objects

tim.77062
2007-07-26, 08:39 PM
When deleting light fixtures from a ceiling they are hosted in schedules that count the ceiling quantities shows multiple entries for the same ceiling. The number of extra entries equals the number of deleted fixtures. See the attached project file.
Any suggestions for how to avoid this?

Mr Spot
2007-07-27, 03:50 AM
There is something wrong with that file. I saw your issue then created a new file from our template, placed a ceiling hosted some elements to it and there were no duplicate entries in the ceiling schedule...

tim.77062
2007-07-27, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the reply.
Did you demolish the hosted elements and leave the ceiling intact? Thats when I see duplicate ceiling areas in the schedule.

Mr Spot
2007-07-30, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the reply.
Did you demolish the hosted elements and leave the ceiling intact? Thats when I see duplicate ceiling areas in the schedule.
Sorry I didn't even realise you had phasing in your project as I was only looking the schedule and 3D view and the phase filter was set to none so I didn't notice as graphic overrides.

I can see what's happening now that I know phasing is involved...

If you set your current phase in your schedule to existing then it only shows one entry.

Because when you demolition the fittings (which create an opening in the host) revit then wants to infill the ceiling. So the two new entries are the bits of ceiling being infilled.

Unlike walls, it seems the new ceiling infill is incorrectly calculating its area based on the entire ceiling instead of just the new segment. THIS I THINK IS A BUG.

But the entries themselves in the schedule are correct.

File this as a support request... and possible bug.

sonya
2007-07-30, 03:12 AM
i would rather there be a 'hole' in a wall/ceiling/whatever when something is demolished.
then, as an extra step, if it was required, i could go around and infill the openings if needed with a wall type of my choosing.
this represents much more accurately what happens on a building site, where a door might be taken out, part of the adjoining wall demolished, and an infill bit of wall constructed around a new window.

Is it just me that finds the idea of the automatic infill slightly illogical?

tim.77062
2007-07-30, 12:17 PM
Its been filed as a support request and escalated and once I get it resolved I will post their response.
I do think some kind of user control over autoinfilling elements might help.

Mr Spot
2007-07-31, 01:30 AM
i would rather there be a 'hole' in a wall/ceiling/whatever when something is demolished.
then, as an extra step, if it was required, i could go around and infill the openings if needed with a wall type of my choosing.
this represents much more accurately what happens on a building site, where a door might be taken out, part of the adjoining wall demolished, and an infill bit of wall constructed around a new window.

Is it just me that finds the idea of the automatic infill slightly illogical?
I agree, that would be a better workflow.

ford347
2007-07-31, 01:23 PM
I like that Revit infills the opening but don't like that there is no option to control the infill. What I think would be ideal is to be able to toggle on/off whether or not the opening was to be filled and what it was filled with. Basically just have total control over the demolished opening, yet still making use of Revit's capabilities. That would be a good feature. I just went through this on a remodel we're doing and I really wished I had this functionality, since some of the windows and doors we were demolishing were going to remain openings in the wall. I had to go in and create openings in their place, and since they were log walls with sweeps in them, it was a total nightmare!

Josh