PDA

View Full Version : wall wraps

tkrich00
2007-07-31, 02:22 AM
Does anyone know how to make the exterior wall finish to wrap past the center line? I am trying to create exterior slender wall with 2" concrete, 1/2" air space, 6" mtl studs, air space (2" gap) 2" rigid insulation, 3 5/8" mtl studs, 5/8" gyp board. I have tired several different combinations of moving/changing the functions, changing the wrap to interior to exterior, upcheck the boxes for the wrap, checking the window insert wrap properties and I can never get the the outside material (2" concrete) past the center point of the wall. The reason I want to do this is because I want a deep recess for the window past the center point of the wall and the slender wall portion is hung off the edge of the floor slab. I have thought about doing this in two walls but I would be unable to make window opening in both walls. I welcome any suggestions.

Tobie
2007-07-31, 03:19 AM
I have seen openings made in a second wall. Think it was used where a renovation was done with a new wall in front of the existing wall with the window opening. Will have a look to see if I can find the thread.

Dwane Lindsey
2007-07-31, 03:44 AM
Edit the wall family you currently have placed. If you are using the OOTB windows, there should be a reference plane that is set to the wall closure. (You can check this by selecting the ref planes and looking at their properties.) If you are using a custom window, the wall closure ref plane may or may not be present. If it isn't, then create one somewhere inside the wall and change it's properties to be Wall Closure (check box).

You can also set a dimension with a parameter to the closure ref plane so you can adjust the location of the closure line (plane) from the interior or exterior side of the wall (I prefer the exterior side).

Oh, regarding two walls and creating the opening in the second wall. As long as the walls have a common edge (or even overlap) you can join the geometry and the second wall will have the opening as well.

tkrich00
2007-08-06, 07:10 PM
Thanks, I never really paid attention to that before to the wall wrap reference plain never really had deep window recess before. Just a follow up question - Is it possible to have materials wrap in section?

Dwane Lindsey
2007-08-07, 04:41 AM
No problem. As for the section material wrapping, you could use wall sweep(s) or in-place walls. Just make sure either way, they have the same material that you are looking to wrap. Either way, use the Join Geometry tool to make them have continuous materials.