PDA

View Full Version : CSV Tables

mabrey
2007-07-31, 06:24 PM
Hello,

I am having difficulty pointing a part to a custom .csv file for the lookup table. I copy a standard .csv file, rename it, and then edit it through excel. When I point the family at my new table (which is located in the same directory as the standard .csv files) I get the "Invalid Formula" error. The only thing that seems to work is if I don't rename the file, and don't add custom parameters. If I just change the numerical values for any given parameter, then it works fine. Do I have to use a specific program to make custom csv files rather than excel and notepad?

Thanks,

Jon

randy.sallwasser
2007-08-10, 01:39 PM
you can use either of those programs. just mnake sure that the folder you are putting the new files in is actually the one that Revit is looking at. if you go to the program folder and look at revit.ini there is a setting "LookupTableLocation" telling it where to look for the lookup tables.

Jade6
2007-08-15, 03:07 AM
The problem may be solved in this way, please have a try.
After you rename the .csv file and ensure put it back to original folder, go into the family editor to check family type, then you will get a parameter named "other" group named "Lookup Table Name", modify the .csv file with your new name. Then the Revit would know to use the new .csv file.
If you want to add costom columns in .csv, please keep the same format as old ones and you should also add parameters in family editor, then these added data could be used.

Hope it helps....

Stadtler
2007-08-25, 05:02 AM
I have gone through this same frustrating situation – but there is hope!

I would first suggest getting a copy of the AU 2006 Class ME23-1 “Creating Autodesk Revit Systems Content for Engineering Coordination” by Martin Schmid, P.E. – Autodesk Consulting.

The key phrase can be found on page 12 – “NOTE: if you modify a lookup file, you must restart Revit for the file to be re-read.” Basically, if you have changed the table format (such as adding a new column or renaming the headings used in the parameter formulas); Revit will not recognize the change until it starts up again. You must shut the program (Revit) down or fool it into reading the modified/new file without shutting it down.

My method for creating a part using .CSV files is to generate the .CSV file first with all the correct headings and data needed for the formulas. Once complete, save the file with a new and meaningful name in the LOOKUPTABLES subdirectory defined in the Revit.ini file.

The next step is to open Revit, change the lookup file name, define the parameters, and generate the formulas. I delete the existing formulas if I am using an existing parameter table unless I have all of the same parameters plus the new ones I want. I think you already feel comfortable with making formulas it sounds like you have tried over and over again to get it to work and recognize there is no problem until you add custom parameters and try to exit a formula column created with new parameter.

See if this solves you problem - one more thing – column “B” heading of the .CSV file is not a parameter used in the formulas, rather it is a lookup value column to find the parameter numbers used in the formulas. Don’t use the “B” column heading parameter formulas.