PDA

View Full Version : Using "edit cut profile" tool

steedlei
2007-08-01, 10:23 AM
When I finished using "edit cut profile" tool along with other drafting tools to make detailed working drawing on one floor plan, how I can copy the finished "details" to other floors? I tried to use "plan region" to show the detail on lower floor without success, please help.

Thanks in advance.

ejburrell67787
2007-08-01, 12:09 PM
When I finished using "edit cut profile" tool along with other drafting tools to make detailed working drawing on one floor plan, how I can copy the finished "details" to other floors? I tried to use "plan region" to show the detail on lower floor without success, please help.

Thanks in advance.Generally drafting details (lines filled regions etc) can be copy&pasted aligned into the other plans in the same place. Edit cut profiles are specific to the element edited and cut though so you have to edit the cut profile and copy the sketch lines and then edit the element on the next plan and sketch in...
Hope that makes sense...

steedlei
2007-08-02, 01:48 AM
Elrond, thanks for your reply. This confirm that "edit cut profile" only works for that particular view. So if I have 20 floor plans with same detail using same cut profile editing, I have to copy the sketch lines and re-edit 20 times. It's very tedious process. Hopefully revit team can improve "edit cut profile" tool to allow the edited profile to be copy/ paste.
Many thanks for anyone who has good work around on this issue, I'm sure quite some architects should encountered the same problem.

ejburrell67787
2007-08-02, 09:30 AM
Elrond, thanks for your reply. This confirm that "edit cut profile" only works for that particular view. So if I have 20 floor plans with same detail using same cut profile editing, I have to copy the sketch lines and re-edit 20 times. It's very tedious process. Hopefully revit team can improve "edit cut profile" tool to allow the edited profile to be copy/ paste.
Many thanks for anyone who has good work around on this issue, I'm sure quite some architects should encountered the same problem.yeah that would be tedious. In that type of situation I would using some filled regions and drafting lines, group them and then paste the group into every plan using paste align -> by views.

Using invisible lines in filled regions means you can get a hatch pattern to look like an edit cut profile. Filled regions have better line width control generally also.

Cheers, E

Steve_Stafford
2007-08-02, 02:43 PM
...It's very tedious process. Hopefully revit team can improve "edit cut profile" tool to allow the edited profile to be copy/ paste. Many thanks for anyone who has good work around on this issue, I'm sure quite some architects should encountered the same problem.Draft a typical condition detail in a drafting view and then use the Reference Other View option when creating a callout or section detail. If you still must repeat this work for some reason then create a detail component you can "drop" on top of the area instead of using the Edit Cut Profile feature. You might consider a regular wall hosted family will give you the "cut" you need like a window or door using a void or opening. I think of Edit Cut Profile as a onesy..twosy sort of tool not an all day adventure...as soon as I'm seeing threesy...time for another approach.

dhurtubise
2007-08-02, 02:46 PM
I would not argue with a guy that is close to 5 000 posts :-)

Steve's approach is the best, i prefer the reference view thing personnaly

steedlei
2007-08-03, 02:27 AM
Steve,

"If you still must repeat this work for some reason then create a detail component you can "drop" on top of the area instead of using the Edit Cut Profile feature.",
Is there a way to transfer (copy/paste) the drawn details either in plan or call out into detail component family then to use them back into the project? Or in order to "drop" detail component on top of the area I need to cover I have to sketch up and draw exactly all details in family editing template from scratch?
Plus, how to do the "Quote:" thing you guys did in the post?

Steve_Stafford
2007-08-03, 03:07 AM
...Is there a way to transfer (copy/paste) the drawn details either in plan or call out into detail component family then to use them back into the project?...Yes, as long as what you copy to clipboard is just detail items; text, filled or masking regions, detail linework and detail components.

...Plus, how to do the "Quote:" thing you guys did in the post?...You click the QUOTE button on the bottom right of a post. You can use the Quote toolbar button to add the code to your post as well. Take a look at the image attached for the formatting.

ron.sanpedro
2007-08-03, 05:47 AM
Draft a typical condition detail in a drafting view and then use the Reference Other View option when creating a callout or section detail. If you still must repeat this work for some reason then create a detail component you can "drop" on top of the area instead of using the Edit Cut Profile feature. You might consider a regular wall hosted family will give you the "cut" you need like a window or door using a void or opening. I think of Edit Cut Profile as a onesy..twosy sort of tool not an all day adventure...as soon as I'm seeing threesy...time for another approach.

Why not do one "typical" but still live detail, and then reference that in other callouts? Best of both worlds?

Gordon

Steve_Stafford
2007-08-03, 02:09 PM
...Why not do one "typical" but still live detail, and then reference that in other callouts? Best of both worlds?...sure, just consider that a live detail must be checked, if a related wall moves for example. A "canned" detail doesn't, either way he isn't doing it over and over and over....

mccurdyks
2007-08-03, 02:51 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but you can copy/paste cut profiles just like any other detail component....unless they took it away in 2008. I'm still in 9.1. I use this all the time to make my blowups match the section. I'm not sure why you'd go to all the trouble you are proposing.

ejburrell67787
2007-08-03, 03:20 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but you can copy/paste cut profiles just like any other detail component....unless they took it away in 2008. I'm still in 9.1. I use this all the time to make my blowups match the section. I'm not sure why you'd go to all the trouble you are proposing.but only once you are in sketch mode right...?

mccurdyks
2007-08-03, 06:02 PM
No. After you've finished cut profile, you can pick the "cut" line and copy paste/aligned to another view. The behavior is a little crunchy; sometimes I have to zoom in or out to see that the change has happened. But it works just like copy/pasting detail linework.

Steve_Stafford
2007-08-03, 06:29 PM
In my quick test just now it doesn't... It may have worked for you in the past but I've found it to be unpredictable so I don't go there. In sketch mode after selecting the portion of the element to cut it works fine, but it takes several steps to just alter one layered wall, floor etc...

Certainly welcome to try to use it and if successful, good!

I'll take a detail family over Edit Cut Profile any day when repetition is involved.

mccurdyks
2007-08-04, 03:40 PM
Steve,

Just cracked 2008 and it works better for me than it did in 9.1. In 9.1 if I moved the section in plan, the cut profile seemed to flake out. This doesn't happen in 2008.

Aside from whether or not it works, from a logistics standpoint, I was inclined towards the edit profile because it was associated with the wall. The wall goes, moves, etc, and the cut goes with it. Are you locking your detail components to the wall, or are you detailing later in the process when you don't have to worry about substantial moves and/or changes to the floor plan?

And I agree, I'm only using it as a one or two time deal. Once in the detail, and twice in the section.

hand471037
2007-08-04, 06:49 PM
Just as a quick aside, it's not a perfect alternative and has it's downsides, but in the past when faced with similar problems I've taken the 'nice' live view, that's fully detailed out with all the tools of Revit, then exported that to a DWG. Then I imported that DWG into a new Detail Component Family, a big one mind you, and then edited out the bits that wouldn't work for the 'typical' condition. Then I saved that out into the project-specific family folder for that job, and then loaded it into the Project and placed it in the 200 or so common locations as needed. Then you can cut and paste it, lock to things, etc. just as if it was a giant 'block' of stuff. You can even go back into it and make stuff within it parametric if you've got to consider different widths and such of walls.

Again, not ideal, and a little more 'manual' then you might want but it is an easy solution.