PDA

View Full Version : Custom Wall HELP!

kevin.phelps
2007-08-01, 06:46 PM
I am trying to create a custom Acoustic Wall that will act the same as normal walls do ie. drag start of wall to end of wall. The front wall face has a textured surface that needs to repeat itself on about a 3'0" module. I have attached a image of the Acoustic texture (I am trying to get the pattern to be vertical running). Thanks for your help!

ford347
2007-08-01, 07:03 PM
You would have to use a method similar to that which is used for log walls. Create the profile you would like to represent your acoustical material as a profile family, then add a series of sweeps into the wall in which is will be placed on. Once you play with this method a little, you'll start to find out what is possible and what is not. I am in the process of 'dealing' with a log home file in Revit, and though this method works and is pretty much your only possibility outside of a surface pattern to closely represent the sweeps, it does slow your model down considerably. Every move I make with a wall causes a slight regen or delay. Openings, height variances between different walls, split walls joined at story lines, walls shorter than that of the sweeps you have within the family can all cause or pose diff. challenges when using this method. So I would give it a shot and put it through some of your own testing before I moved forward with it. Do a search on the forums for log walls and you'll find the method I've mentioned here.

I would also consider using a line based model component. dbaldaccino here in the forums has shared a really nice family to accomplish something similar to deal with varying int. & ext. finishes that I think is a more elegent method to possibly accomplish what you are after. you would create this profile within a line based family, assign your desired parameters for your height, arrays for you patterns etc., and simply draw that in your model and lock that to your walls. I would probably purse that after experiencing what I just did with log walls and the sweep method.

Hope that helps. I'm sure you'll get some good advice from others.

Josh

dhurtubise
2007-08-01, 08:38 PM
Is there gonna be some opening in there ? If not you could use a generic family component to copy. Or even a line-based generic family could do it.
If you need to cut opening, i suggest an in-place wall using a profile that you could copy for the base extrusion. It would make modification easier.

kevin.phelps
2007-08-01, 08:46 PM
yes there are doors in the wall that I am trying to create. The pattern needs to be vertical running and not horizontal... I tried creating a host sweep but it wouldn't work, any other suggestions?

dhurtubise
2007-08-01, 08:52 PM
Same process applies except for the profile. Simply use an inplace.
If you think that the pattern might change then you can use a detail component and pick&lock to that detail to do your line.

I included a very quick example

kevin.phelps
2007-08-01, 09:11 PM
That is a definite step in the right direction, but is there a way to create a typical drag start click to end wall that copies the wall segment as you drag the wall to a specific length?

twiceroadsfool
2007-08-01, 09:13 PM
Using a Curtain Wall may work. Youll have to fuss with Curtain Grids to get it to work, but you could build that assembly as a Curtain Panel, and then make your doors as Curtain Panels as well...

dhurtubise
2007-08-01, 09:13 PM
For that create a line-based generic family and nest your pattern built from a generic model family.

Justin Marchiel
2007-08-01, 10:39 PM
do you really need to model the jigs and jogs? You could use a surface pattern to represent the surface if not required.

Justin

ford347
2007-08-01, 11:12 PM
Kevin,

I messed around with a generic model line based family. I think it works pretty well. I'm sure you could refine and make better, but at least you can see what you could do with a family like this. It will take some cleaning up with the parameters perhaps as I did it fairly quickly, but you get the point.

This family uses a nested family for the pattern geometry, then arrayed. The nested family has a few parameters in it to keep the spacing ratio between the elements and adjusts depending on the pattern height, array spacing etc. So it could work well enough for representation in a plan set. You can lock this to the face of a wall. You may have to adjust the length if you adjusted the length of your walls, but I don't see that as a big deal.

Hope this helps.

Josh

kevin.phelps
2007-08-07, 03:22 PM
Josh,

That is exactly what I wanted to do except the pattern is running horizontally and not vertically. When I try to rotate it in elevation it wont allow it... is there a way to go make it vertical?

Thanks,
Kevin

ford347
2007-08-07, 03:45 PM
Unfortunatly, I think we would have to use the same concept, but re-draw or place things in the direction you desired. Sorry about that, I don't deal with those types of treatments in my line of work too often, so I was pretty much guessing the whole way through. I'll open it back up and mess with it. I'm glad I could help. I'll have to re-draw the nested family and the host family since I started in the wrong direction.

Josh

ford347
2007-08-07, 04:13 PM
Ok Kevin,

Here you go. I went ahead and changed both families so the pattern will work in the vertical direction. I think it turned out pretty decent. I'm not sure if the pattern is correct or not, but like before, regardless what will happen in real life as far as the pattern itself, it is set up to stay proportionate all the time, so the pattern will never get chopped off or not work.

Hope this helped.

Josh

kevin.phelps
2007-08-09, 07:09 PM
Thanks Josh that is exactly what I was trying to achieve!