PDA

View Full Version : Roof Valley Flashing

bob.parker
2007-08-02, 08:30 PM
What is a good way to do roof valley flashing? Strictly for elevations and perspective views. Would it be best to use a fascia or a sweep?

ron.sanpedro
2007-08-02, 09:57 PM
What is a good way to do roof valley flashing? Strictly for elevations and perspective views. Would it be best to use a fascia or a sweep?

I use a Split Face and paint in the flashing material. Some discussion on the topic here:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?postid=64200#poststop

Best,
Gordon

sbrown
2007-08-02, 11:47 PM
I use a roof fascia with an angled profile for caps, it works great, it should work for valleys too.

Tobie
2007-08-02, 11:52 PM
We use split face all the time. Quick and looks good in every view.

Arnel Aguel
2007-08-03, 05:10 AM
I used both method....if I want to link my model in max for high end render I used the fascia method if it's just a quick cd's and perspective presentation i used split face. Both method work great by the way.

DoTheBIM
2007-08-03, 12:01 PM
If you use the spit face method, is it schedulable in Revit as a material schedule or similar?

Steve_Stafford
2007-08-03, 02:21 PM
If you use the spit face method, is it schedulable in Revit as a material schedule or similar?As a Material Takeoff, yes, but you must create one for each category of element...so one for roofs, walls etc.

DoTheBIM
2007-08-03, 02:45 PM
As far as I can tell this simply adds material of the selected type without displacing the existing material. If true then I would have to be led to believe that in order to displace material for another type you would have to back to physical modeling of the condition. Not complaining how it works, but merely trying to understand the use of and work flow one would use to utilize this feature for more than simply graphic representation. Do I understand the above correctly?

Steve_Stafford
2007-08-03, 06:47 PM
Yes, you are correct sir. For significant material areas you would in effect be counting both the new face material as well as an equal portion of the orginal area. You'd need to cut away material via a component in order to remove it. Doing this will naturally make it hard to use split face :smile: I've heard it said that "designers" love split face...CD documentation folks hate it...