PDA

View Full Version : The Joinery

morganp
2007-08-02, 11:10 PM
I too have tried to curtail the odd behavior of wall joins; specifically, wall joins between walls that are also embedded into curtain walls. These seem to create minor conundrums within the software.

I get the feeling (just a hunch) that some automatic features within 'Revit' are commanding the program to execute multiple and opposing tasks at the same time. This condition throws the computer into a position where IT has to decide between one solution or the other.

Are we dealing with a system that wants to decide for itself? It reminds me of my automatic digital camera. I press the shutter. Then, the camera grinds until it feels like taking the photo . . . usually about three seconds after the subject has moved out of the frame.

Artificial intelligence will never make up for a lack of the real thing.

sbrown
2007-08-02, 11:46 PM
Can you post examples of the conditions you are trying to work on ? Also upload these to the support center so the developers can fix issues.

dhurtubise
2007-08-03, 12:46 AM
Sometimes you might need to make both walls not to join then use join geometry to clean it up

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-08-03, 06:15 AM
As for your digital camera woes...

the delay is a result of the autofocus needing time to work properly. Most cameras will alllow you to 'pre-focus' by depressing the shutter button half way and, once you are ready for your photo just press it the rest of the way and that should elimnate the lag. :beer:

morganp
2007-08-03, 05:11 PM
I have attached an example of some 'Revit' joinery for your review.

Please let me know if you can find any deleterious proclivities within this model.

morganp
2007-08-03, 05:22 PM
In addition: I believe that 'coursing' is a key issue within 'Revit.' Just as a mason must course his brick around the exterior of his building; the 'Revit' software expects the model builder to do the same.

When I work in courses, as I build the exterior skin of a building, I find that most of my wall joins clean up following the alignment of those courses. I also find that the curtain wall tool is an effective way to organize my horizontal coursing within a wall. One caveat is that the designer must go all the way around the exterior of the building.

In my opinon, this is the most efficient way to model exterior walls in 'Revit.'

Matt H
2007-08-03, 06:26 PM
Should it look something like the attached file??

morganp
2007-08-03, 08:38 PM
That looks good. Did you notice any funny wall join behavior?

Matt H
2007-08-03, 10:22 PM
Yes at first.

But what you have to do in this specific case is, back off the walls connecting to the Curtain wall. Then using the "Edit Wall Joins" tool, pick the ends of each of the walls and set to "Do not Join". Then strech the walls back to the curtain wall, and use the "Join Geometry" tool. And it should work.

Oh, and also, you really don't even have to join the walls together if you don't want. It will still look the same.