PDA

View Full Version : Detail naming best practice

ron.sanpedro
2007-08-07, 05:27 PM
Does anyone have an Office Best Practice on naming of Detail Views?
Currently we have nothing specific, and about half our projects tend to leave all details just named Detail1, etc.

My thought was to name the detail in shorthand based on location and type. Thus:
Plan - Ext Wall - NW Corner
Then use Name on Sheet for something more appropriate for the CD set.

The idea is that temporary working details could then remain Detail37 (or better yet rename it with your initials like "GP Detail 1" if it has a lifespan beyond the next STC) and all the "working" details would sort nicely. Also you could tell by name where the detail is, making navigation by Project Browser a little easier.

Anyway, anyone else going down this road, or do you just leave all the details with meaningless names? and depend on hotlinks in views to get to the details?

Thanks,
Gordon

Baldwin_4-6-0
2007-08-07, 05:56 PM
tell the story of the Detail..
Detail 1 is not Acceptable in our office.

ron.sanpedro
2007-08-07, 06:37 PM
tell the story of the Detail..
Detail 1 is not Acceptable in our office.

Do you have guidelines on phrasing? I can imagine two things happening without it.
1: The story becomes a novel, where the detail name is 30 characters long. Kind of a pain given the Project Browser.
2: Inconsistency, as three people name similar details in very different ways. If we are good about staffing people on architectural systems rather than sheets, AND making people responsible for the details as well, this will be somewhat minimized, but you still risk "Exterior Curtain Wall System at Column" and "Ext Rf". Maybe not such a big issue, but it does make it a little harder for someone to come help put out a fire.

Thanks,
Gordon

cdetore
2007-08-07, 06:39 PM
Agreed. We try to use a descriptive name that is not project specific. This helps when staff is added late in a project. The logical naming helps them navigate through the project easier.

It also helps with (EDIT) drafting views when using the "Insert from File" tool.

CD

Mike Sealander
2007-08-07, 09:55 PM
All my projects have grid lines, and I refer to them in detail naming.
Thus: "D line sill at window"
For wall sections, I do this: "D line at 4", meaning the cut is taken at D line near 4 line.
For plans, I do the same: "D and 4 column base plate".
I also have made sure to refer to grid letters, then numbers, to help with the sorting.
For something off grid, I make up a name like "D.3 line floor transition"

barathd
2007-08-07, 10:08 PM
Name them whatever you may - just wish the Reference Items would sort themself. Guess wildcards within the names would work. Yes - additional tools would be valuable especially if you have several hundred details to sort out in a project.

Regards

Dick Barath

cdetore
2007-08-08, 01:19 PM
There is also the View List (New>View>View List...) which can be very useful in organizing your views. It has been helpful for us to find and change view names which have not been changed from the default name. The view name, type, detail level, scale and phase can be all be changed from the list as well.

CD