PDA

View Full Version : addinf fields

KGC
2007-08-08, 12:51 PM
I recently saw a post on this, but its not want i want, and i have been playing with this for a bit this morning and cant seem to get it to work.

I have attached the file. i would like to have another field that will be able to add other fields together. When i try to use the Object and select the MText, and use contents, it doesnt give me the correct number.

Any thoughts,

Thanks

zoomharis
2007-08-08, 01:14 PM
I have attached the file. i would like to have another field that will be able to add other fields together. When i try to use the Object and select the MText, and use contents, it doesnt give me the correct number.

Any thoughts,

Thanks
What do mean by not not getting the correct number? Is it that it gives a wrong number or does it show '####'. If it's the second one, you may have to remove the SQ. FT. suffix from the source fields because the formula will not allow these things inside.

KGC
2007-08-08, 01:20 PM
ythe sq. ft. is part of the field format for the source ones. And when i said wrong number, i ment that it was giving me the wrong number. The 4 separate areas equal maybe 5 or 6 sq. ft. and i was getting 150 or 160.

I will check it again, and change the format to see if that helps.

zoomharis
2007-08-08, 01:32 PM
I got the desired result using your file. See the attached drawing. Check out whether you are using some conversion factor in the result field.

KGC
2007-08-08, 01:37 PM
well its looks like what i had, but you removed the sq. ft. from the formating, and i dont understand why that would mess it up.

Thank you

zoomharis
2007-08-08, 01:58 PM
well its looks like what i had, but you removed the sq. ft. from the formating, and i dont understand why that would mess it up.

Thank youBecause "SQ. FT." is not a valid numeric expression, formula field can not evaluate it. See this post (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=739172#post739172)for a brief overview of standard numveric functions and constants allowed inside formula field category.

KGC
2007-08-08, 02:04 PM
Yeah i understand that, but since its a format and a function of the table, i would think that it could be ignored. Thanks for the link though.

I appreciate the help