PDA

View Full Version : Good Walkthroughs

sjsl
2007-08-08, 07:36 PM
Has anyone created a good walkthrough as a shaded view w/edges so it doesn't shimmer?
Are there any other good cheap/free walkthrough softwwares anyone has used?

Thanks

mcblum
2007-08-08, 09:22 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "shimmer" effect, but I have done several shaded animations that I feel have turned out well. They are relatively quick to make and can provide a good overview of a project.

Tools I have used are: (freeware)
+ VirtualDUB - Great tool for combining individual images together and batch processing for resizing, etc.
+ Wax - A good basic video editor for combing both a "shaded" video with a basic "hidden-line" video and transitions.

For these types of animations, I have found it output your file to at least 2-3 times the size of the final, using still images for each frame, then use VirtualDUB to combine and resize (with anti-aliasing) to create a less "jaggy" picture.

Hope this helps.

sjsl
2007-08-09, 02:18 PM
Its the antialiasing I'm looking for. The images are so jaggy especially when you have a large project and it gets projected on the big screen. It just looks awful.

Thanks.

gautamrs
2007-08-09, 05:13 PM
"Moire Effect"... I haven't been able to resolve that either!

CjRobert7
2007-10-16, 05:28 PM
Has anyone created a birds eye view walkthrough (flyover)? / How?

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-10-16, 05:54 PM
Has anyone created a birds eye view walkthrough (flyover)? / How?
It's a matter of adjusting your camera height and target point. Check out this post for some tips.
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=68600&highlight=walkthrough+modify+camera

hand471037
2007-10-16, 06:37 PM
What I've found is much more successful in generating walkthrus in Revit is to use batch processing in Photoshop as a mid-step between Revit and the actual .AVI file generation.

What I do is setup my walkthru in Revit same as y'all are doing. But when I export it, I don't export it to an .AVI, I export it to single JPEGs, so that each frame of the animation winds up it's own numbered JPEG in the output folder. It's an option on the file type when exporting, just swap it to JPEG after you've set the export location and options.

Then I setup an action in Photoshop that then slightly blurs, color balances, and maybe even 'sketchfys' an image, and then use the Batch Processing in Photoshop to have it apply that action to all the JPEGs in the output folder.

Then when it's done I roll all the JPEGs into an AVI using a free JPEG-to-AVI tool.

This way you've got the chance to process the raw images from Revit prior to them going into the AVI. It's also less error prone for long animations, for Revit is much less likely going to choke on exporting a ton of single JPEGs as opposed to a huge AVI. And the whole process doesn't take long, if you've got a fast computer to do the Photoshop processing you can make very decent looking non-photoreal animations in a few hours from nothing.

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-10-16, 07:11 PM
The flip book goes digital!
Nice trick Jeffrey :beer: