PDA

View Full Version : Revit 2008 Build Upgrade

tim.77062
2007-08-10, 03:02 PM
To upgrade to latest build is very painful. 2 hours to download (internet connection obviously needs improvement), nightmares trying to run file off network, switch to burning cd (more problems, iguess network related burning from network)
THEN the content extraction window nightmare begins 50% Current step, 15% program progress after 45 MINUTES!!!

1-1/2 computers down 2 1/2 to go..............

Any idea whats happening here, cause I am ready to call it a week

bgauthier
2007-08-10, 03:36 PM
If you're working with a network, don't install the family content (you already have it). The software itself takes about 5 minutes. Use the network to store the families.

sbrown
2007-08-10, 05:47 PM
You should create the network install, then its a double click on each machine, Don't reinstall the content. I think it will still download the help though which takes some time.

Melarch
2007-08-12, 05:43 PM
As stated it is unnecessary to download and reinstall the content. You only need the updated build. To install just the build select custom when asked what to install and you will see additional dialog boxes that allow you to uncheck install content.

Mel Persin, AIA
AEC Technology Consultant
Technology to Visualize and Realize Solutions
MasterGraphics, Inc.

Anthony.d
2007-08-12, 11:16 PM
Which brings up a good point. I sure hope the factory lets us know when they ever change the library.

Brian Myers
2007-08-13, 12:12 AM
Before installing an update just be sure to read what is included in that update. In that way you'll know what (and if) to install it.

tim.77062
2007-09-13, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the replies,
I think what was frustrating me more was the network and internet speed problems.

amara
2007-09-13, 06:54 PM
I wonder why automatic updates are not used - like almost all other programs. Only necessary files get updated without painfully reinstaling the whole program. Is there any logic keeping it in the current manner?

Elmo
2007-09-14, 12:35 PM
kidess.68812 the update is around 250 mb usually. That would make it too large for an automatic update.

amara
2007-09-14, 07:40 PM
The program is about 250mb - I suppose the upgraded material for a new build wouldn't exceed a few mb. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Elmo
2007-09-17, 06:24 AM
Yes but you forget that this is a database program, the approach here needs to be totally different. Adding new code isn't the same here, since it usually needs to be re compilled. This basically stops your idea all together already. If it was *** simple as adding a few lines of code it would have already been done like that. Since it isn't then you should already that it is just not possible at this time. I wont be surprised if Autodesk are already trying to do something about this and are trying to find a way to achieve this. I don't know if this is will happen anytime soon but I'm always hopeful!

retroart143895
2007-09-17, 03:32 PM
What the heck is revit, i here so much about it and i thought it
was a command in autocad.

gbrowne
2007-09-18, 08:00 AM

Hahaha. Nice try!

CADNate
2007-10-11, 01:34 PM

"Revit® Architecture* software works the way you think, so you can create naturally, design freely, and deliver efficiently. And because it is purpose-built for building information modeling (BIM), any change you make—anytime, anywhere—is automatically coordinated throughout your project. Designs and documentation stay coordinated, consistent, and complete."

Or more simply put, it's a program and not an AutoCAD command.