PDA

View Full Version : How to do these walls in Revit?

scowsert
2007-08-10, 05:28 PM
This is an example of a condition I need to model in Revit, (plan view, concrete walls).

1. Can we do a wall with a point at the end? Or do they have to always be flat (ie..square)?

2. How do I model this?

3 If massing is involved where should stop massing and start doing walls? For example the two walls heading out towards the left are 9" wide I could do those as a 'wall'.

Matt H
2007-08-10, 05:32 PM
I would do an in-project family to make the point.

robert.manna
2007-08-10, 05:41 PM
I don't know if I fully understand your little diagram. However you can use in place VOID objects to cut walls to create unique conditions. If your walls are going to be monolithic materials (like conc.) then this method works especially well.

HTH,
-R

sbrown
2007-08-10, 05:45 PM
If you have lots of those curved bumps, create generic wall based families with a void that cuts the wall, then you can easilly add them as needed.

scowsert
2007-08-10, 06:06 PM
Thanks. So it looks like I'll do an inplace family (massing is the same thing right?) Then join them to the walls to clean the joints up?

comhasse
2007-08-10, 06:10 PM
If i correctly understand you the thick walls are around 3' in thickness. If the important thing is the 3d model, you might consider modeling along the contours with thin walls (building a hollow wall), which is how this might actually be built in reality. Then the sharp edges will clean up automatically and you will be able to make changes a bit more flexibly than with in place families/masses.

The drawback would only be that in plan you won't get a poche'd wall (you could still use filled regions to achieve that look). Let us know what worked for you in the end.

sbrown
2007-08-11, 12:37 PM
NO, not inplace!!! Click>File>New>Family>select the generic wal based template, then create solids or voids as needed. Then load them into your project and place. Do you mind if I use this example in my AU lab this year. It comes up frequently.

Scott D Davis
2007-08-11, 03:43 PM
(massing is the same thing right?)
Massing and In Place Families are NOT the same thing. Massing is for massing of buildings; ie "build a massing model". In place families are for one-off or special case families (objects) in a building.

Massing = Buildings
In Place families = Objects on/in buildings

scowsert
2007-08-14, 02:33 PM
NO, not inplace!!! Click>File>New>Family>select the generic wal based template, then create solids or voids as needed. Then load them into your project and place. Do you mind if I use this example in my AU lab this year. It comes up frequently.

Feel free.

scowsert
2007-08-14, 02:38 PM
I think I have my lingo all messed up.

What am I creating if I go to the Modeling bar and selecting Create...(on the bottom) Select Family Category of Walls, select Solid Form, Solid extrusion?

Is that a 'bad' way to create the pieces that I need?

After creating those pieces I joined them to the walls.

Massing and In Place Families are NOT the same thing. Massing is for massing of buildings; ie "build a massing model". In place families are for one-off or special case families (objects) in a building.

Massing = Buildings
In Place families = Objects on/in buildings

Andre Baros
2007-08-14, 03:21 PM
I think that in this situation, you could draw all of this as walls which should clean up with the corners you've shown, and then go back and "cut out" some sections with void families. You would use an in-place void family if this is just happening once and an external void family if this is happening a lot on your project, or on several projects. No massing required.

Scott D Davis
2007-08-14, 03:39 PM
What am I creating if I go to the Modeling bar and selecting Create...(on the bottom) Select Family Category of Walls, select Solid Form, Solid extrusion?
Thats an In Place Familiy, and a fine way to do it.

People get confused, and go to the Massing Tab on the design bar, and start making Masses in the shape of building components.

comhasse
2007-08-15, 09:59 AM
People get confused, and go to the Massing Tab on the design bar, and start making Masses in the shape of building components.
Masses created with the Massing tool are in fact a type of In Place Family, they can also be created with the Create tool (choose family type: Mass). I hope this makes it less, not more confusing.

Steve_Stafford
2007-08-16, 01:26 AM
Masses created with the Massing tool are in fact a type of In Place Family, they can also be created with the Create tool (choose family type: Mass). I hope this makes it less, not more confusing.ADT's "Mass" = Revit's Generic Model or Specialty Equipment (stuff that doesn't fit neatly in predefined category)

Revit massing is for building forms and cannot be changed to other family categories later. Common mistake is to use mass category for such walls only to realize later that they must leave massing visible to see what should have been using the wall category.

Quick and dirty approach attached...

winnwgomez
2007-08-16, 06:43 AM
Hi Steve,

Once we model these walls using in place families, can we add layers to them? like plastering/insulation etc?

winn

Steve_Stafford
2007-08-16, 03:07 PM
Hi Steve,

Once we model these walls using in place families, can we add layers to them? like plastering/insulation etc?

winnThese walls are all walls, not in-place. They are generic walls and could be switched to any other wall type you want. That doesn't address how the voids affect the layers though.

luigi
2007-08-18, 01:23 AM
SOLIDS created with the Massing tool are in fact a type of In Place Family, they can also be created with the Create tool (choose family type: Mass) CORRECT...

Solids is the word that needs to be used when speaking about the actual creation of the 3d geometry with the tools: extrude, sweep, revolve, blend.... These solids must have a category...

Massing use Solids,
In Place Walls use Solids,
Doors use Solids,
Windows use Solids,
All 3D rfa's use Solids,
All 3D In Place categories use Solids

A mass is a mass is a mass,:?
a window is a window is a window,:?
A solid is a solid is a solid, but a solid can be a mass, a window, a wall, so on:?

Cheers...

scowsert
2007-08-20, 03:31 PM
Steve I see a reference plane in your attached images (Green dashed line). Did you extend the walls to the reference plane? If not how are you using the reference plane?

Thanks

ADT's "Mass" = Revit's Generic Model or Specialty Equipment (stuff that doesn't fit neatly in predefined category)

Revit massing is for building forms and cannot be changed to other family categories later. Common mistake is to use mass category for such walls only to realize later that they must leave massing visible to see what should have been using the wall category.

Quick and dirty approach attached...

Steve_Stafford
2007-08-21, 06:01 AM
Steve I see a reference plane in your attached images (Green dashed line). Did you extend the walls to the reference plane? If not how are you using the reference plane?

ThanksI just used the Reference plane to mark where the void that cuts the walls off so they would cut at the "same" location on the walls.

clog boy
2007-08-21, 07:56 AM
I concur with Comhasse and all other people who suggest building it as a 'hollow' wall. An alternative is to compose the shape out of walls with 50% thickness of the eventual result, and join them together later.
It's quite possible to draw curved walls for the two roind void shape thingies, and again join them.
I attached a .png file to show you a rough and inaccurate concept. Forgot to add the two cuts in the lower wall, did them a while later and it didn't prove a problem. This thing took me less than five minutes, screenshots included. This approach is built using the wall tool only, no families or other components required whatsoever. I'm pretty sure it will even schedule right (except perhaps for where the curved walls overlap the inner half).