PDA

View Full Version : 2d Lines in Left/Right Elevation...

MNsnowtaTy
2007-08-10, 06:52 PM
I know the answer is probably simple, but I can't seem to think of the solution.

I want to draw a 2d shower, with grab bars, a seat, and the shower head, however, I only want my 2d line work to show up in one or the other elevation views.

How do I get line work to show up in just the left/right elevation and not the right/left?

Scott D Davis
2007-08-10, 07:00 PM
Use Detail lines instead of Model lines

lhanyok
2007-08-10, 08:32 PM
But in a family you'd be drawing symbolic lines instead of model lines. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't symbolic lines show up in both the right and left elevations?

Melarch
2007-08-12, 05:55 PM
You are correct symbolic lines show up both Left/Right, but not Front/Back. So if you do not want the symbolic lines to show up in either the Right or Left of right/left then Hide the family in that respective east or west view in your project.

Mel Persin, AIA
AEC Technology Consultant
Technology to Visualize and Realize Solutions
MasterGraphics, Inc.

ron.sanpedro
2007-08-12, 07:26 PM
You are correct symbolic lines show up both Left/Right, but not Front/Back. So if you do not want the symbolic lines to show up in either the Right or Left of right/left then Hide the family in that respective east or west view in your project.

Mel Persin, AIA
AEC Technology Consultant
Technology to Visualize and Realize Solutions
MasterGraphics, Inc.

Sure would be nice if the family had an option for Same Left/Right and same Front/Back. There are times when I really like doing one side view in 2D, and times when it really doesn't work well at all. A sofa is a great example, I want to just draw one side, but I need different front/back. Off to the Wishlist I go. ;)

Gordon

clog boy
2007-08-13, 07:32 AM
Back to the initial question: make a detail group (a group with detail lines and annotations). OR make a 3D family.

MNsnowtaTy
2007-08-13, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the advice, I went with using detail lines and yes they didn't show up in any view but the one I drew them in. I had completely spaced the detail lines command.

Scott D Davis
2007-08-13, 03:21 PM
Draw a 2D "layered" approach with a masking region in between. Left side/masking region/right side. You should be able to set the workplane of the masking region or bring forward/send to back to get it positioned correctly.

MNsnowtaTy
2007-08-13, 03:59 PM
Ok thanks I'll try it out.

Scott D Davis
2007-08-13, 05:24 PM
I tried it....it doesn't work. :-( sorry!

MNsnowtaTy
2007-08-14, 01:12 PM
Lol....I couldn't get it to work either, but it seemed like it was a good idea.

MNsnowtaTy
2007-08-15, 01:28 PM
Will it make any difference if I have something in 3D has well?

ososteph
2008-08-29, 12:30 AM
I tried it....it doesn't work. :-( sorry!

I'm having the same problem with a tub family that our office has created. We put a lot of work into creating ADA compliant plumbing fixtures in CAD, and so we imported them into Revit and turned into symbolic lines. So we have one family, with symbolic lines in front/back, left/right. The problem is, we only want to see the fixtures in the right side only, or left side only. Not both. If the masking region that Scott is recommending doesnt work, does anyone have ideas for what will?
Thanks

Andre Carvalho
2008-08-29, 01:54 AM
OK, so what I've been doing is to play with the detail modes and detail components (can be symbolic lines, but detail components are easier).

Let's say you have a 2D WC family and wants to show one view when looking from the right side and a different view when looking from the left side. Create two detail components showing each one a different side (again, this can be done with symbolic lines if you want). Load them into your WC family and place them in a left or right elevation. They will off coarse overlap. Select one of them and go to Visibility menu (in the options bar). Change it to only show if mode is set to Fine. Do the same with the other detail, but this time choosing to only show if the detail mode is set to Medium. Load your family to the project. Once you generate your sections showing the family from the left or right, you will see both detail components. Then just got to Visibility Graphics Overrides (VG), and override the detail level only for plumbing fixtures to be the one you want (Fine or medium). Doing that, only one detail will show. And since your are overriding the detail level only for one element (plumbing fixtures), you can set your view to be either Coarse, Medium or Fine for all your other elements.

You can even create a view template specific for sections looking right or left...

I know we shouldn't be doing all this, but while we can't do it other way, here is one workaround.

I hope it helps,

Andre Carvalho

greg.mcdowell
2008-08-29, 05:01 PM
Doing the same thing with the detail components (or maybe even symoblic lines) on the left-right planes could you also then place an invisible, in all views other than left-right, box in between them such that it would hide the opposite side? Similar to the above idea with masking regions I think. I'll have to try this later.

t1.shep
2009-08-10, 10:17 PM
I'm also struggling with this issue...
I'm trying to create a 3d component, except Revit can't model the detail that I need. However, I can make 2d detail components that get closer to the level of detail that I need. So when I try to combine the 3d with the 2d components, I get the 2d showing in views that it shouldn't (like elevations) since the 2d is "on top of" the 3d geometry.
I did notice a check box (though it always seems grayed out for me) under the Visibility button called "Symbolic Element Visibility" with the option to select "show only if Instance is cut" This is exactly what I need, but can't get it to be selectable with an imported detail component...
I'm going to be trying it with just symbolic lines and filled regions to see if it comes up then...