PDA

View Full Version : Roof Help

Sweetshelby
2007-08-13, 12:03 PM
I need some roof help.

Can anyone tell me a better way to do this Segmented Bay Roof? The only way we could get it to work was in pieces which sucks. I would really like it to be all one roof. We tried 100 things but could never get it to work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

rjcrowther
2007-08-13, 01:09 PM
I did something like this a while ago.

My method was to use lines and not pick walls (roof by footprint).
I remember having to have each eave length just right or it did not join at a single apex.
Think about which lines have slope and which do not.
I also remember leaning on the align eaves tool fairly heavily.

I would think it should work ok but would be quite fiddly to achieve a single apex.

Rob

clog boy
2007-08-13, 02:20 PM
Did one quick try.
Closest thing I could get without any hassle was making one line, and one arc (a less-than-180 degree segment). The arc defines the slope. It comes out as a dome segment with a straight cut.

sbrown
2007-08-13, 02:34 PM
When you draw an arc, then select it and under properties you can chose the number of segments.

SkiSouth
2007-08-13, 02:58 PM
Revit is not handling this well because each segment on either side of center must be a different slope to accomplish your design goal (if I'm understanding your question). Your slopes are 26.565,25.602,22.62, and 16.26 per your design. You can draw a roof following the eaves you have already drawn, defining the slopes per your already solved faces, then put the slopes into each section. It will generate the proper one piece roof. Solving for the slope however, is another matter. I do not have time to explore the slope arrow and fascia height of the roof tool right now.

- better solution is to use the roof tool in 2008 as below.

ford347
2007-08-13, 03:04 PM
Like Ski was saying, you need to do the math for each segment because your slope will be different.

If you are using RAC2008, then I would suggest using the new roof tools. Take a look at this. I used the split tool and defined the one single point at a desired height. This is nice because even though you could work out the math, make one change in the design in depth, over-all size or whatever, and you have to modify each segment now to update. This way you can just change the one points height at the peak of the roof and call it a day.

Josh

Sweetshelby
2007-08-13, 03:59 PM
That is excellent!!! We did not even think to use the new tool because we had never done it before.

Thank you so much for the help!

Gadget Man
2007-08-14, 07:33 AM
There is yet another method - in my view much easier...

I know, I know, MASSES shouldn't be used to create roofs, but... if it's going to make my life a lot easier - why not?

My method doesn't need any slope calculations whatsoever - just the bottom and the top level of the roof itself (see picture 1b). It doesn't matter how complicated or irregular roof's footprint is (picture 1a), it doesn't matter how many pieces of different, odd slope angles are required...

I simply use MASS blend, blending the bottom roof footprint shape loop with the loop that includes desired point of apex (it must be a loop for Revit to accept it) see pictures 2a, 2b. For that I simply create a sharp angle (my point) closed by an arch... see picture 2b.

The only negative of this method is that if you ever want to change that roof you must first change the defining MASS and recreate the roof itself (20 seconds?). Also, if there are several roof pieces of different slope angles Revit doesn't want to create them all at once, so simply create one by one (pick one MASS face, create roof, pick the second face, create roof, etc.) see picture 3b

All that roof took me... 40 seconds to make and to write this whole short tutorial (including pictures) 10 minutes... ;)

Sweetshelby
2007-08-14, 10:53 AM
Wow another great way. Thanks

captainbunsaver
2007-08-14, 12:34 PM
What 'new' roof tools are you guys referring to?

TC

Sweetshelby
2007-08-14, 12:43 PM
In RAC2008 if you draw a floor or roof you can edit the shape with new tools. Type in Shape Editing for Slabs, Roofs and Floors into Revit help and you will get a good explanation:

Basically draw a Floor or Roof with no slope then finish sketch and select the object. Check the options bar and you will see new tools to Modify Sub-Elements, Draw Points, Draw Split Lines, Pick Supports, Reset Shape. All these are explained in the help file.

bclarch
2007-08-14, 01:47 PM
There is yet another method...
Very nice Jerry thanks for sharing. Even those who feel the need to make true footprint roofs could use this method to create the desired shape and then measure the slopes to create the roofs by footprint.