PDA

View Full Version : Surface pattern and in-place Ceiling problems

ron.sanpedro
2007-08-14, 11:27 PM
We are having some graphic trouble with an in-place ceiling and a surface pattern. The shape is a long undulating curve, with boards running perpendicular to the length, and the form constrained in plan by the corridor.
The in-place ceiling was created with an extrusion in section, and void extrusions to shape the edges, as seen in the RCP. The material uses a Model Pattern. As you can see in 3D and RCP, the hatch rotates 90 degrees at various places. Anyone have any ideas on a way to fix this?

Thanks,
Gordon

luigi
2007-08-15, 03:18 AM
Unfortunately, I believe the graphics using a filled region is unfixable. The issue is the filled region being applied to a curved surface. The only thing I can think of is to actually model the pattern, rather than using the filled region (I know it's a lot of work), the other alternative is to use maybe a ruled curtain system...this will segment your curve, but may be more realistic, especially if the curve is made out of straight boards (maybe it isn't?) All you have to do is go to modeling design bar, curtain system, curtain system by lines. Then select the lines of the edges of the ceiling you have on both ends and create a curtain system...then divide the curtain system by the amount you need to get the board the right size, and the plan and 3d views should look quite accurate. You might still get a blurring effect if the edges of the panels in perspective are really close...but maybe it won't be so bad... Since it is you Gordon, I know you know how to use the curtain system, so I apologize for giving steps...

If you chose to try the curtain system, please let me know if it works, if it is better, not perfect, or if it didn't work at all..

take care,

We are having some graphic trouble with an in-place ceiling and a surface pattern. The shape is a long undulating curve, with boards running perpendicular to the length, and the form constrained in plan by the corridor.
The in-place ceiling was created with an extrusion in section, and void extrusions to shape the edges, as seen in the RCP. The material uses a Model Pattern. As you can see in 3D and RCP, the hatch rotates 90 degrees at various places. Anyone have any ideas on a way to fix this?

Thanks,
Gordon

luigi
2007-08-15, 03:22 AM
Sorry Gordon, it's another one of those..read it really fast, think you understand what the person is going through...give answer, then re-read slower to make sure you haven't made a fool of yourself...and finding out that you have...

Once you are editing the in-place component...will it allow you to rotate the filled region? I think on curved surfaces it might not allow you... If it doesn't allow you, I wouldn't know how to fix it...sorry!

Thanks,
Gordon

Tobie
2007-08-15, 04:28 AM
Hi Gordon.
It seems that the pattern changes between curved and straight sections. I made this one and painted the surface with surface pattern that changes 90 deg. Must be some sort of bug. Hope this helps.
Cheers,

tomnewsom
2007-08-15, 10:16 AM

Thanks,
Gordon

I would make one 'strip' as a single model and then array it to create the dozen or so strips that make up the ceiling. The 'fan' parts would have to be their own model, with this method.