PDA

View Full Version : Composite wall dimensions

iankids
2007-08-16, 04:07 AM
Hi All,
Firstly, thanks for a great forum.

I am a revit newbie (finally moved across from AutoCad) and have created my first simple composite wall.

90mm stud as structure with 10mm plaster & 25mm timber cladding as materials on the internal and external faces.

When I come to dimension the wall in plan view, the dimension selection picks the outside of the cladding and the inside of the plaster giving a dimensioned wall thickness of 125mm.

The dimension I want is just the structural element ie the stud and not the linings. I have had a look through the edit properties of both the dimensions and the wall element and cannot fathom how to do it.

Is there a work around or am I missing something simple?

Thanks in advance

Ian Kidston
http://allextensions.com.au

dfriesen
2007-08-16, 04:25 AM
The dimension I want is just the structural element ie the stud and not the linings. I have had a look through the edit properties of both the dimensions and the wall element and cannot fathom how to do it.

Is there a work around or am I missing something simple?
First of all, go into the "Edit Assembly" for the wall, and make sure that the studs are the only thing inbetween the "Core Boundary" elements.

Then, when placing the dimension, look in the options bar, and choose "Prefer faces of core" (instead of the default, which is "Wall faces").

Welcome aboard, hope you have an enjoyable Revit experience.

winnwgomez
2007-08-16, 06:35 AM
Hi Ian

Welcome !!

you could also try the following, to measure thicknesses of different wall layers in a wall. zoom in close and click on dimension By default, the dimension will try to snap on to the wall exterior or core boundaries.

hit tab, till you get the face/layer from which you need to measure. click to start measuring from that layer and do the same to the other face required and finish the dimension. hope this was clear.

regards and all the best with Revit!!

Winn

iankids
2007-08-16, 09:11 PM
Thank you Daniel & Winn for your help.

Daniel, you were on the money.

In creating the wall, I had put the material layers directly adjacent to the structure with the outer & inner core beyond that. Once I swapped it around it all works perfectly.

Cheers,

Ian
http://allextensions.com.au