PDA

View Full Version : Piping Connector

khayse
2007-08-16, 03:47 PM
I am creating a custom pump family using a manufacturer's .SAT file and I am having trouble getting the piping connector to attach to the flanges of the pump. Do the pipe connectors have to be at the center of the flange? How do you line-up the connector with the "face" of the flange?

mott-45
2007-08-17, 02:10 PM
This is happening because you are using solid geometry in your family, which doesn't really provide a proper "face". You have 2 options in this case:

1) Model the flanges using Revit geometry. Then use the "Place on Face" method to place the connector on the face of the geometry.

2) Use Reference Planes at the location of the flanges. Then use the "Place on Work Plane" method to place your connector. Now the kicker here is the fact that you can't really lock down the connector to the center of the "face" since you can't dimension to it properly. A workaround for this is to select the connector and use the "make this temporary dimension permanent" buttons to create dimensions.

Hope this helps!

khayse
2007-08-26, 05:56 PM
I have found a work-around to this by creating extruded cylinders where I want to place the piping connectors. I make the depth of these extrusions very short (1/8"). Then I can attach the pipe connectors to the face of these cylinders. If the extrusions stick out of the cad ovject to much I move them in to the object. Make sure you symbolic lines.