PDA

View Full Version : 2008/O Visiblity Graphics/Discipline

Safiy
2007-08-16, 10:45 PM
I would like to control the look of the architect’s link by 1 view template. Either by having more flexibility with the disciplines and what they display or by V/G.
Right now the work-flow just does'nt’t work well
I have to create a view template apply the view template to a floor plan. Then customize the V/G for the link in that view. I have to do this 20 times for each floor plan in my project. In addition as I'm working if my view template is amended or for many reasons throughout the duration of my project I need to re-apply my view template it screws up all the custom V/G I have set for my link (not cool).
The mechanical discipline just doesn't display what i need and the V/G can work but the work-flow is just not feasible
I need to apply a view template that doesn't affect my links custom V/G
or
Have control over what is displayed when i select mechanical for my discipline

mjdanowski
2007-08-17, 12:26 PM
it works, it is just hard to standardize the links in a template because they aren't in the template, making it a real pain.

One good solution I always thought would work here is to be able to change what "halftone" is defined as in terms of lineweight and line color for each discipline (or as a whole). This would save a lot of time.

mott-45
2007-08-17, 02:21 PM
Why not just add the customizing that you are doing to your link into the view template itself? That is what my company has been doing and it is working out quite well. We created the original set of view templates for each discipline and put those into our main template file, then when the architects file is linked into our project, we customize our view templates in the project to include the changes we need in the link. Its not really an all inclusive method because this has to be changed at the beginning of each project, but it is much better then doing each view separately.

Safiy
2007-08-17, 04:31 PM
OK, But how can i get different V/G for my link and use 1 view template. If i customze the link in the view template and i have it set to see the architects first floor, i can not appy that same view template to any other view because it will also show the architects first floor.i just want to be able to see the architects background and when i apply my view template i dont want it to ovveride the custom V/G of the link.

Safiy
2007-08-17, 04:44 PM
Mott-45
How can i get the architects background to show in my model the same way the arch has it drawn in his model? The discipline function doesn't work for me because it turns off the room names and the hatching, and it doesn't take into consideration any of the arch view parameters such as view range. Im able to get what i want if i customize the links V/G, and if i customize the V/G in the view template it works fine, but i cannot apply that view template to other floor plans because the custom link should represent a different floor plan for every floor.
Im just trying to get the best practice for getting an architects background to show up, and i dont want to have to customize the V/G for my link every time i apply my view template
maybe im asking for to much!

mott-45
2007-08-17, 06:04 PM
There is really no way to get it to show EXACTLY as the architect sees it, mainly because things such as annotation do not carry over in a linked environment, but you can get it close.

If you are linking in DWG files, I can see where you are coming from, but that is not the way the product was meant to be used. If you are linking in Revit files then there should not be a problem using 1 template per discipline for all floors. So if you are using a Revit model from the architect, why can you not use a single view template for every floor? What representation is different floor to floor?

By the way, I saw that you mentioned View Range. That is a parameter that is setup in the view template so you can set a "best case" setting, then the designer/drafter can modify it if the need arises.

chodosh
2007-08-17, 06:15 PM
Have you employed Linked Views from the Architect's model?
LC