PDA

View Full Version : Defining slope of warped slab

miguel.108116
2007-08-17, 05:56 PM
Is it possible to define the slope of a warped slab? I am working with a complex roof perimeter and am attempting to get the insulation to taper uniformly (1/4" per foot) towards a roof drain. The roof drain is defined by four split lines with depressed elevations. However, because the roof shape is irregular the slab resolves towards nearby corners and not the edges of the roof slab. (see attached images)

This leaves me with unwanted slopes. It also means that I would need to determine the distance of each point from the roof drain and determine its elevation based on the slope.
It seems like Revit should be able to do this work for me (like it does for roofs when you define the slope). Am I completely missing the point of the warped slab tool and/or does anyone have any suggestions on how to draw this condition using the warped slab tool?
Many thanks!

luigi
2007-08-18, 12:51 AM
You can't define a specific slope of a slab "after" it has been warped...But

Have you tried defining the 1/4" slope by points(or lines) first, and then, after the slab has its main slope, define the roof drain by 4 split lines with depressed elevations?

I just tested sloping a roof and it made a huge difference to first slope the main roof, and then define where the other low points would be...

Let us know

Is it possible to define the slope of a warped slab? I am working with a complex roof perimeter and am attempting to get the insulation to taper uniformly (1/4" per foot) towards a roof drain. The roof drain is defined by four split lines with depressed elevations. However, because the roof shape is irregular the slab resolves towards nearby corners and not the edges of the roof slab. (see attached images)

This leaves me with unwanted slopes. It also means that I would need to determine the distance of each point from the roof drain and determine its elevation based on the slope.
It seems like Revit should be able to do this work for me (like it does for roofs when you define the slope). Am I completely missing the point of the warped slab tool and/or does anyone have any suggestions on how to draw this condition using the warped slab tool?
Many thanks!

luigi
2007-08-18, 01:01 AM
oops, I gave you a solution before understanding your problem... :Oops:

I haven't checked how much the warped slab changed from the functionality it used to have...but can you define the slab similarly like the roof now? where you can define slopes to multiple sides? It would make sense to make the slab work similarly like the roof, but since 2008, I haven't checked...

If they added not only the changing elevation to "points and lines" in a floor, but also the multiple slopes like the roof, then all you need is to define each main edge a -1/4" slope, and you would automatically have your low point based on exactly your 1/4" slope....

If they haven't added that functionality with slabs, then you are kind of stuck figuring out the exact elevation and location.

Sorry...

Many thanks!

miguel.108116
2007-08-20, 04:51 PM
Luigi,
Thanks for the reply. As far as I can tell it is not possible to cannot define the slope at the main edges and let Revit 2008 take it from there. Maybe in the next build they will make slabs function like roofs. Until then, it seems that manually defining points at corners and other critical junctures is the way to go. Thanks again.