PDA

View Full Version : Roof problem

tim.101799
2007-08-20, 03:11 PM
I am trying to model some domers in my roof. Unfortunatly I can only seem to get them to work as gable ends (see attached image) I would like to take the modeled gables and move them back approximatly 2 feet from the roof edge. Is there anyway to do this all as one roof sketch? Or do I need to sketch the dormers seperatly and attach them to the main roof?

Live2Dive
2007-08-20, 03:21 PM
I think you will have to do the dormer roof separately. At least that is how I've always done it, as Revit doesn't seem to allow inner loops to have slope definition.

sbrown
2007-08-20, 03:41 PM
Yes that will be a second roof sketch, make one with walls and everything in it then copy it as needed, then use the opening tool to cut holes in your main roof form.

tim.101799
2007-08-20, 06:15 PM
I have gone ahead and made the dormer as a seperate roof. Is there an easy way to make sure the dormer roof follows the plane of the main roof. I had to use some math to get this to work, and is just seems very un Rvit like.

In the attached imagem the dormer to the left is my initail sketch, ans you will notice that the dormer does not intersect the main roof as it should. The dormer to the right was corrected to meet the main roof, but I had to do all the math by hand and then apply it to the sketch.

nancy.mcclure
2007-08-20, 06:35 PM
You can have your individual dormers attach and respond to slope changes in your main roof by 'joining' the elements. Create a dormer eave level to build your dormers on, then in a 3D view, use the Join/Unjoin Roof tool, select the dormer roof edge and then the main roof plane. Adjustments to the main roof slope will now be tracked through to the dormer connection.