PDA

View Full Version : Project levels/datum vs site topography elevation

t1.shep
2007-08-20, 07:43 PM
I have a building that I've modeled and am now attempting to include the site info. Our standard is to use 100'-0" as the main floor level. Our site topography is around the 6700'-0" range. The CAD site survey doesn't have 3d info, but uses crosshairs and text labels to indicate topo. I've already linked the survey file into my model so that the building is placed correctly and I have setup true north and project north. I have also already created property lines and other site info into the model. I have created site topography from the points in the survey, but obviously the topo surface is at the 6700' range. Short of doing a lot of math to subtract the appropriate dimension to each point to bring the sea level elevation to the building elevation, is there a simple solution to this issue? Or, as all other posts seem to indicate, is this a major letdown of Revit?

I would love to have my building intersect my topography, while at the same time have the ability to edit my topography in my building model, all while showing our 100'0" level elevation. The project is just a small house, not a big campus, so the idea of using a separate site plan and building model seems excessive and time consuming.

I'm not totally opposed to just creating the topo as I have and moving it down to the the model, but this doesn't seem ideal.

I know this topic has been addressed in the past, and I've tried some of the proposed solutions, with no luck. If anyone has a good idea, a simple solution, or good link to check out that would be great. I'm hoping that since people have had issues with this part of Revit for a while, that maybe they've fixed something in the latest version?

dhurtubise
2007-08-20, 07:49 PM
Go into the level type properties you have the option to display Project or Shared Elevation. I suggest that you make 2 types

robert.manna
2007-08-21, 12:48 AM
You should be aware however, that even with two types of "levels". Its an all or nothing scheme. You can't in some views have your elevations displayed as "real" versus "project". As the levels are "model" objects that exsist in every and any intersecting view, you can't switch them from one type to another in only some views. Hence a second site model can be helpful, because (especially with the C/M feature) in the site file you can have levels that display true elevation, while in the building file you could display project elevation.

HTH,
-R

luigi
2007-08-21, 01:40 AM
Great first post!!!

If you insert your link before setting your true elevation, then the only choice is to Move your Project Elevation (changes only the shared, not project elevation) up to which ever 100' needs to be (i.e. 100'=6695.5') the tool to move the project is in the pulldown menu next to rotate true north. When you use that tool...100' of your project elevation remains the same 100', but your shared elevation changes. When you do this, it moves your whole project, so you will have to lower your site down by the same amount (i.e. I move my project 6695.5' up in elevation, I now need to select my topography and lower it by 6695.5')

The only way I know how to "not" have to lower the topography, is if you set up your shared elevation correctly before you bring in the link and create topography. It happened to me today. I already had my 100' set up to be 663', and when I linked my new survey, and created the topography, it was in the perfect spot. I didn't have to re-locate the topography....

I hope I was clear in my explanation...

Take care,

Luigi

I have a building that I've modeled and am now attempting to include the site info. Our standard is to use 100'-0" as the main floor level. Our site topography is around the 6700'-0" range. The CAD site survey doesn't have 3d info, but uses crosshairs and text labels to indicate topo. I've already linked the survey file into my model so that the building is placed correctly and I have setup true north and project north. I have also already created property lines and other site info into the model. I have created site topography from the points in the survey, but obviously the topo surface is at the 6700' range. Short of doing a lot of math to subtract the appropriate dimension to each point to bring the sea level elevation to the building elevation, is there a simple solution to this issue? Or, as all other posts seem to indicate, is this a major letdown of Revit?

I would love to have my building intersect my topography, while at the same time have the ability to edit my topography in my building model, all while showing our 100'0" level elevation. The project is just a small house, not a big campus, so the idea of using a separate site plan and building model seems excessive and time consuming.

I'm not totally opposed to just creating the topo as I have and moving it down to the the model, but this doesn't seem ideal.

I know this topic has been addressed in the past, and I've tried some of the proposed solutions, with no luck. If anyone has a good idea, a simple solution, or good link to check out that would be great. I'm hoping that since people have had issues with this part of Revit for a while, that maybe they've fixed something in the latest version?