PDA

View Full Version : BIM Comparison Report

JamesVan
2003-07-14, 02:36 PM
I have co-authored a document for our firm that outlines the BIM concept and provides a comparison of the "A" and "B" products. I have edited out any confidential or proprietary information so feel free to peruse this and submit your comments.

:?: Email me if you'd like a copy of this report. :?:

Steve_Stafford
2003-07-14, 03:10 PM
Thanks for sharing, nice work. How will this doc be used internally? What is it's objective? I ask because it does not state a purpose or goal per se. I assume it more "state of the state" than a call to action?

PeterJ
2003-07-14, 03:13 PM
Interesting reading James. Will you eventually let us know which decision is reached, assuming this paper is part of a move to reach a specific decision.

Wes Macaulay
2003-07-14, 03:24 PM
Anyone downloading this will need to have a late version of Acrobat to open it... Adobe 4 won't, as I have noted!

JamesVan
2003-07-14, 03:33 PM
Thanks for sharing, nice work. How will this doc be used internally? What is it's objective? I ask because it does not state a purpose or goal per se. I assume it more "state of the state" than a call to action?

Other parts of this document that I considered "confidential" were the 'Executive Summary' and 'Recommendations,' but I think you can get the jist of it from the rest of the paper. I will keep everyone updated on the outcome of our proposal.

Wes Macaulay
2003-07-14, 03:55 PM
I think that the worst thing about Bentley is that they seem to lack vision and motivation. The folks at Revit are intelligent, and they want to go somewhere.

An application is only as good as its code; and the code is only as good as its programmers. I know Revit purposefully hired the best coders they could find, and they have a vision of what Revit should do. I don't know how far down the road they see, or if at R3 they had a plan for how they would get to all the features we have in R5.1... but what I do see is that they are aggressively developing Revit into the finest BIM product on the market. Why hasn't ArchiCAD had the same effect in the architectural CAD industry? Revit is the better product; as far as I can see there is nothing that touches it in the BIM realm.

Watching the rise and stagnation of Triforma has been rather saddening - this was once a bright and promising product. Watching Keith Bentley lash out at Autodesk during the BIM debate (in which he and Phil Bernstein participated and Jerry Laiserin hosted) made me feel like he belonged more on the Jerry Springer Show. The story of Triforma is a cautionary tale to both software vendors (keep your vision) and software users (keep your eyes open). I may be a Revit junkie today, but don't think I've stopped kicking competitor's model's tires!

mlgatzke
2003-07-15, 03:57 AM
I was irritated by the fact that Keith Bentley kept steering the argument to AutoCAD's new encrypted DWG format and away from the BIM side of the discussion. I guess he was afraid to discuss the BIM issue, on it's own merits, against Revit.

Arnel Aguel
2003-07-15, 04:33 AM
Can somebody help me to download that file. I only have acrobat reader 4.0.

Thanks in advance