PDA

View Full Version : Poche for New Walls

andrew.139822
2007-08-21, 11:51 PM
We're having trouble getting our new and existing walls to show properly. We want the existing walls to have no poche, and new walls to have a med. gray poche. We are doing this by using a phase override for the new walls, setting a material, called "Phase-new", that is set with a solid gray fill pattern.

This works great for the floor plan view, but screws up lots of other views. For example, new curtain walls in a 3D view become a solid grey fill. All the transparency of glass is lost.

Is there some other way to have a poche fill difference between new and existing walls? We could define a separate wall type for each, but that seemed counter to the philosophy of the phase feature.

Any suggestions would be welcome,

Thanks,

Andrew

robert.manna
2007-08-22, 01:26 AM
You should be able to apply different phase filters to different views, thus resulting in different results. Multiple phase filters could have similiar settings but slightly different overrides. If you must have a finer grain of control there are a couple of other strategies that you could employ, but require more attention to detail and effort on you and your team's part.

1.) Create a whole set of wall types for existing construction, seperate from the wall types used in new construction. Thus allowing you to control their visibility and appearance seperate from any phase filtering.

2.) Add a shared parameter where you manually identify the phase of the wall, use this parameter in conjunction with filters to modify/overide the appearance of walls based on the filtering criteria, excluding or including whatever you need. The same parameter could be added to other elements, allowing you extreme flexibility with regards to filters used in conjunction with view templates.

3.) Combine both approaches to have a wealth of information available to manipulate the model in tons of different ways. Requires tremendous thought, and careful modeling, but hey.... it would be dang cool. :beer:

You could also probably write some API tools to auto populate a shared parameter with the correct phase information based on the phase in which the element is/was created, thus reducing your headaches dramatically.

HTH
-R

myBIMhero
2009-11-05, 08:54 PM
Yeah I am having the same problem. Walls are poched based on 4 criteria - Phase, Fire Rating, Acoustical Rated (Y/N), and Full vs Partial Height. Since the course fill pattern for (E) objects cannot be seen in new construction view, I have to use filters for graphic overiides.

Fire Rating is already a type parameter - though I wish it were an instance. I'd prefer to not create 2 walls - one rated and one not, but I prefer that over creating a second fire rating instance parameter - too confusing for production.

I can easily add a Y/N Acoustical Rated instance parameter.

Why doesnt PHASE show up as an option to create a filter? Sometimes I am amazed at why Revit allows some paramters to be used and others not. Other than adding an additional parameter for one that already exists - does anyone have any ideas how to filter by phase?

Height - Any ideas there where I can use the unconnected paramter? Otherwise I will have to create a partial height instance parameter.

I prefer to not have to create paramters when ones already exist.

Any help or ideas is always welcome. Thanks!!

Scott Womack
2009-11-06, 11:36 AM
The wall Height parameter is just not available. Not sure why. You might try using the Level above if it is available. Partial height walls would certainly be "Unconnected"

We create another shared paramter to replace the Type Fire-rating parameter. Go figure.

Phase, we get around this by drawing all existing items on a Workset Called Existing Building. Worksets are available to Filters.