PDA

View Full Version : Object data, annotation, etc.

john_cunningham
2004-08-06, 04:04 PM
I am trying to get up to speed with the uses of object data, annotation, attributes and labels. For example, if an annotation and object data are both linked to a polyline, what is the relationship between the object data and the annotation? I am looking for a breakdown that is a little easier to follow rather than jumping all around the "help" world.

I am trying to inventory sidewalks throughout the city, and have reduced sidewalks each city block (in a sample area) to a segment defined by a closed polyline. I am able to show the area of each segment to an annotation entry, using the ".area" property, and to summarize areas in a table using EATTEXT.

I have also learned to attach object data to each closed polyline, but I only know how to enter data manually into the object data tables. Natuarally I want to be able to link areas to identifiers for each segment. I do not want to use an abstract handle as an identifier for each segment. I want something related to the real world for that, something similar to an APN# as discussed in the thread "Appending to an expression in annotation template." It seems any user entered data, such as a sidewalk segment number entered into an annotation disappears upon every "update" or "refresh." Should that be happening?

The Map tutorials are a good start, but I need some explanation in order to make a mental map of the spaghetti that is AutoCAD.
I don't expect anyone to try to teach me this, but is there a site or book you can refer me to?

John

mjfarrell
2004-08-06, 04:14 PM
John,

The 'link' between the Object Data and the annotation on the polyline
is that the annotation template uses the object data attached to the object
for the actual text value that you see when you attach an annotation using
that function.
Given that it sounds as if the amount of data you have to work with your
'best' option would be to NOT use object data for this task.
I would encourage you to use the MAP tool to convert object data to database links
and then use a database and link template to then link your cad entities to
the database.

I would happily discuss these functions with you in an on-line
chat session; just look at my user profile for my chat contact
information.

mickb
2004-08-10, 08:57 PM
I am trying to get up to speed with the uses of object data, annotation, attributes and labels. For example, if an annotation and object data are both linked to a polyline, what is the relationship between the object data and the annotation? I am looking for a breakdown that is a little easier to follow rather than jumping all around the "help" world.

I am trying to inventory sidewalks throughout the city, and have reduced sidewalks each city block (in a sample area) to a segment defined by a closed polyline. I am able to show the area of each segment to an annotation entry, using the ".area" property, and to summarize areas in a table using EATTEXT.

I have also learned to attach object data to each closed polyline, but I only know how to enter data manually into the object data tables. Natuarally I want to be able to link areas to identifiers for each segment. I do not want to use an abstract handle as an identifier for each segment. I want something related to the real world for that, something similar to an APN# as discussed in the thread "Appending to an expression in annotation template." It seems any user entered data, such as a sidewalk segment number entered into an annotation disappears upon every "update" or "refresh." Should that be happening?

The Map tutorials are a good start, but I need some explanation in order to make a mental map of the spaghetti that is AutoCAD.
I don't expect anyone to try to teach me this, but is there a site or book you can refer me to?

John

John, I need help with this also? mickb

mickb
2004-08-10, 08:58 PM
Can I import GPS data into Autodesk Map 3D 2005? If so how?

warren.medernach
2004-08-11, 03:38 PM
Hi mickb.

Depends... :-)
How is the GPS data formatted?

Map 3D 2005 has basically implemented the point database functionality of Land Desktop. You can find the new tools under the Civil menu in Map. There are a host of pre-defined formats: ENZ, PENZD, etc... and you can customize your own.

Hope this helps
Warren M

mickb
2004-08-16, 03:02 PM
Warren M,
Right now I'm uploading waypoints from a Garmin GPS unit? Can I
import these waypoints into my base map? Thanks Mick

mjfarrell
2004-08-16, 03:10 PM
What model Garmin, so that I can go to the Garmin
web-site and find out what your output options are.
I believe you are limited on this ability if this unit
is NOT a survey grade instrument. Some of the Garmins
come with software that will allow a DXF or point file output.

mickb
2004-08-16, 03:44 PM
Garmin GPS72

mickb
2004-08-16, 03:44 PM
Survey grade would be sub meter accuracy?

mjfarrell
2004-08-16, 04:15 PM
Mick,

The unit you have is a 'consumer' grade GPS unit.
The owners manual http://www.garmin.com/manuals/GPS72_OwnersManual.pdf
shows no option to export the data in any format.
You will be required to use that RS-232 cable that came with it
and the provided software to export the data.
Once you have that data as either a point file, or a DXF then
you will be able to import it into MAP.

Most all of the Survey grade units or even Map grade units
from Garmin have software that allows for this function.

If this unit was purchased to 'solve' a problem, it is not the solution
you were looking for,

Jmurphy
2004-08-16, 04:38 PM
Mick,
You might also note that that unit is only accurate to 3 meters. As Michael said not the solution you may be looking for. However if you are just testing the waters with MAP and GPS then it's a start. Also if you search on the web hard enough you might find some forums on the Garmin units and how some people are exporting the way-points out to use in other applications.

Murph

mickb
2004-08-18, 05:00 PM
Thanks so much Michael!!

mickb
2004-09-23, 03:47 PM
Thanks jmurphy!

jessebelcher
2005-12-09, 04:27 AM
I just ran across this post and thought i would let you know about a very nice tool http://www.gpsu.co.uk/ also free to try for small jobs i bought the full version for around 50.00 dose everything i need. It will take a garmin gps from usb cable convert to what ever cord system you need then save to dxf shp Google earth and alot more different file types. Hope this helps. If you need help with the set up let me know.