PDA

View Full Version : Walls and Jamb Extensions

mmiles
2007-08-23, 03:04 PM
Hi everyone,

My residential project requires the creation of cavity walls to allow for mechanical chases. For a variety of reasons I have entire lengths of walls "furred-out" to allow for complete flexibility of ducting. I was having trouble with the window jambs extending to where my exterior wall (cmu and stud) intersecting with the in-board stud wall. So, I created a new exterior wall assembly that includes the cavity portion of the wall (veneer, cmu, stud, air space,stud, veneer) and now the windows appear more accurately. It works visually, but somehow I feel like this could be done differently.

The question is this the correct way to deal with this situation? If not, how should I model the windows to span the depth formed by the cavity?

also: can someone expound on how the different category assignments in walls work (i.e. finish 4, finish 5, structure 1, substrate 2, etc)? my studs are not quite doing what I think they should be doing.

jeffh
2007-08-23, 09:43 PM
also: can someone expound on how the different category assignments in walls work (i.e. finish 4, finish 5, structure 1, substrate 2, etc)? my studs are not quite doing what I think they should be doing.

See Revit help.

Working with Architectural Components>Compound Structure>Applying a Function to a Layer of a Compound Structure

This section covers how these assignments are intended to work.