PDA

View Full Version : Area Schedules & Design options

PEWAUKEEJOHN
2007-08-24, 02:55 PM
Does having design options affect the creation of an Area Schedule?

My project has 2 levels (1st and 2nd floor), each level has two design options. The Area that I want the schedule to return is identical for each of the options on a single level (ie. since this is an addition, I want to schedule the additonal area of each level, the design option only involves a wall movement or a different type of ceiling with in the added area). When I created my Area Schedule, no values were created. When I create my Area Plan I chose the level I wanted and the area type (ie. gross) I wanted. Now I know, under view properties for the area plan I can assign a design option specifically to it. I can also do the same thing for my Area schedule. I made sure that the design option applying to each of the Area plans were identical to those for the Area Schedule, with no values being returned in the schedule.

So is my schedule hung up on design options (could the Area plan & Schedule just call for "automatic" or is it a "filter" issue?

I'd post a file but the system doesn't seem to let me do so. Thanks in advance.

jcoe
2007-08-24, 06:36 PM
The approach to area analysis is different when you begin adding Design Options into the mix. It is not as simple as just looking at a specific design option in the visibility graphics because this has no direct relationship to the schedule itself. This is specific to the graphics of the view. In order to report changes in Design Option areas, you will need to create a separate area scheme for each design option.

With your area schemes created you can now create area plans using your new schemes. Just make sure that you select the correct scheme from the pull down when you create a new area plan.

The second part to this is creating a schedule. When you create a new area schedule, you will find your new area scheme(s) listed. Select the appropriate scheme for your design option and add your schedule fields as needed. Your schedule should now be reporting areas from your design option(s).

Remember, the area boundary you sketch is specific to the area scheme you created your area plan from. In order for the schedule to report something from an area plan, it too has to be associated with the same area scheme as the plan.

Here is an excerpt from the help file:
"You cannot add area schemes to design options. To perform area analysis with different design options, create multiple area schemes. Create an area plan for each area scheme and set the area plan view visibility to show the desired options. When not in design option edit mode, create all area calculation boundaries and tags in that area plan view."
I hope that made some sense.

cleibman
2007-09-25, 04:34 PM
Does anyone have experience creating an area schedule that is a little smarter? I'm having trouble with formulas, I'd like to have a field on my schedule that shows how our actual designed area differs from the area programmed by our client, Any suggestions?

ijnicholas
2007-09-25, 06:41 PM
You can add two parameters to the area schedule.
One for your clients programmed area. And another calculated parameter (value) that equals the area parameter minus the programmed area.
hth
nicholas

dhurtubise
2007-09-26, 12:30 PM
Yes it can be done. You will need to add a parameter for the target area (program value) then use an IF statement to answer a yes/no parameter.