PDA

View Full Version : void in in-place family disapeares after cut geometry, thus further uneditable

fstafek
2007-08-25, 09:33 AM
Hello everybody,
I've got rather irregular shaped building, with need of use of in-place families.
Usually in in-place family is just void, which cuts part of the wall, solving nonrectangular wall endings near windows orf curtain wall based windows on corners etc. After I make the void extrusion and with cut geometry tool I substract it from wall, wall is substracted as needed, but I'm unable to select or see the original void in any way (TAB, filter etc).

Thus I'm unable to edit it later in any way.

Is this some visibility graphic issue or am I missing something?

Regards Frantisek Stafek.

dhurtubise
2007-08-25, 10:08 AM
One way to select it to Edit is by using the project browser. Look under the Families for the right category you will see that void. This makes a point to name them accordingly.

fstafek
2007-08-25, 11:15 AM
One way to select it to Edit is by using the project browser. Look under the Families for the right category you will see that void. This makes a point to name them accordingly.

Well, this was problem as well, that even the whole family was not selectable - your suggestion solves this partially, but the actual VOIDS in the family itself are not listed in the project browser, at least for me not, if I'm not missing something. There is only the single instance of the in-place family listed in subtree, no components (the VOIDS i'm missing) it is formed by.

Regards Frantisek Stafek

Scott D Davis
2007-08-25, 06:02 PM
Edit the family, then hover over parts of it and hit TAB until the void highlights.

fstafek
2007-08-25, 06:38 PM
Edit the family, then hover over parts of it and hit TAB until the void highlights.

I'd like to. But sometimes it is possible, but majority of cases no success. So I know what you mean, but in most cases nothing appears.

Regards Frantisek Stafek.

dbaldacchino
2007-08-25, 09:25 PM
Is the void created in the same phase as the object it's cutting? If that's not the case, you won't be able to seletc it. Change the wall's phase to match the void's phase, then highlight and select the cut edge and you'll be able to click Edit on the options bar to edit the in-place family and the voids in it. Once you're done, set your wall phase back to what it was.

SkiSouth
2007-08-25, 10:23 PM
Go to the family, edit, create a new void, the old one will show and you'll have to work at it, but you can get it that way. You might also have to pick an elevation or a plan view (opposite how it was created) to select the void.

fstafek
2007-08-26, 08:24 AM
Go to the family, edit, create a new void, the old one will show and you'll have to work at it, but you can get it that way. You might also have to pick an elevation or a plan view (opposite how it was created) to select the void.

Everything is in one phase (I haven't quite grown yet to phases:-)

Thanks everybody for kind suggestions. But I'm having no luck with this. Of course it is no disaster / I can always when change is needed, redo the in/place family from scratch, so this is really no unbearable barrier. I was just curious if there was something I was missing.

Attached is a sample from project.

Best regards Frantisek Stafek.

Scott D Davis
2007-08-26, 03:39 PM
see attached...there is only one void here, and also an "opening". Maybe thats what is getting you?

fstafek
2007-08-26, 07:20 PM
see attached...there is only one void here, and also an "opening". Maybe thats what is getting you?

:-) no this is another in/place family, cutting another wall the way I need:-)
attached is once more revit file, I've added symbolic lines to the family,
in 3d view is visible the cuted volume as well as in attached screenshot.

The void is there cutting the wall heads in several floors, but unselectable...

I would post whole file, to see why I need these things but it's 70MB.
Sometimes it is solvable with openings, but I frankly don't understand their behaiviour - with base / top constraints - they never behave the way I set it the instance properties dialog, I suspect there is some bug as well, but this is for another story...

Best regards Frantisek Stafek.

Scott D Davis
2007-08-26, 10:46 PM
Found it! You made it a generic model, not a wall category. look in your browser under generic model and find "Dx1_op/lo" and then right-click and select all instances, then Edit in the options bar. You can also hover over the end of the wall that was cut, hit Tab until Generic Model: Dx1_op/lo shows up on the status bar, then click to select, then Edit in the options bar.

fstafek
2007-08-27, 04:29 AM
:-):-):-)IThanks so much for trying to find the solution.

But the problem is not to find THE FAMILY and edit it. I'm doing just what you are suggesting above with no problem.

But THE PROBLEM is then to find THE VOID IN THE FAMILY to edit it:-)

Frantisek Stafek

Scott D Davis
2007-08-27, 05:11 AM
is this not the void? See attached:

Found it, selected it, edited it, no problem. The void is the family you named Dx1_op/lo

Andre Baros
2007-08-27, 08:09 PM
Sort of related. In a generic family, the tab to select is not longer working for a void which is cutting something. In past releases, you could simply tab over one end until you picked the element. I can no longer do this. I need to cut two elements with the same void, but once I cut the first element I can no longer pick the void to add the second one. As a matter of fact, I can't even pick it to "un-join" the first cut element. I've done this hundreds of times in past releases.

mtogni
2007-08-28, 10:28 AM
Same for me. I exactly have the same problem. I know how to select the family (using the browser) but the problem - as fstafek says - is to select the void once you are editing the family.
Sometimes I have to delete the family and then re-create it and, sure, I spent lot of time trying to hover over and pushing tab hundreds of times. No way, doesn't work.
Factory, please do something.

dbaldacchino
2007-08-28, 02:33 PM
Guys, I have no idea why you're having problems editing the voids. Are you going to a 3D view to do the editing? That should help, but I honestly don't see a problem. I was able to highlight both the voids on the exterior side of the wall and the interior one. See attached.

EDIT: Ok, the bottom void is the one you're having trouble with. The problem seems to be the window. Since the window is cutting the wall, I guess the void doesn't have anything to cut so Revit somehow is making it "go away". Move the window away from the void temporarily, edit the family and the void and when finished, move the window back.

fstafek
2007-08-28, 08:49 PM
EDIT: Ok, the bottom void is the one you're having trouble with. The problem seems to be the window. Since the window is cutting the wall, I guess the void doesn't have anything to cut so Revit somehow is making it "go away". Move the window away from the void temporarily, edit the family and the void and when finished, move the window back.

Yes! That solved the problem. After moving the window, thus showing the wall cutted, everything went ok. Thanks everybody!!!

Frantisek Stafek