PDA

View Full Version : Roof - Flat bottom part

bengo
2007-08-28, 06:45 PM
Hi everyone. I was wondering how you do your roofs for residential projects. I'm trying to figure out the best way to draw the bottom part of my roof to close it as if it was a flat soffit (for the flat part)

Justin Marchiel
2007-08-28, 06:53 PM
i have made ceilings for the flat portion of sloped roofs. seems to work pretty quick and is not affected when the roof pitch is changed.

Justin

bengo
2007-08-28, 07:16 PM
One thing I can't figure out. Do you have to seperate the inside part (bottom of the roof trusses) from the outside part (roof soffit). How do you manage the gable end wall??
As soon as I figure out how to manage my roofs, I'll switch all of my residential projects to Revit

cdatechguy
2007-08-28, 08:36 PM
One thing I can't figure out. Do you have to seperate the inside part (bottom of the roof trusses) from the outside part (roof soffit). How do you manage the gable end wall??
As soon as I figure out how to manage my roofs, I'll switch all of my residential projects to Revit
Gable end walls are just regular walls....in the case of your porch its the same. You wont see it on plan level unless you raise your cut line in the view editor to the height of that wall. In the case of another program (http://www,graphisoft.com) you have to put these walls on a different story so that they would not be seen on the floor plan, dashed or on a different layer to turn off for floor plan plotting. I haven't had to use flat soffits...(yet)...but Justin's way seemed pretty sound.

bengo
2007-08-29, 12:37 AM
So Justin, what you're saying is that I shouldn't worry about the soffits (exterior) and treat the interior part with the ceiling.

Justin Marchiel
2007-08-29, 03:10 PM
the question is how much do you need to show. if you need a building section with vey little detail then why model every nut and bolt. if you need enlarged details, then it becomes worth modeling.

I like to keep the pieces seperate. I feel it gives me more control. that being said, i think you need to look at a case by case situation to see what modeling technique best suits the job.

Justin

bgauthier
2007-08-29, 05:46 PM
Thanks. I think I'll take a quick look at the DGCad videos again. I'll be able to decide then. It will also help me for the soffits and pork-chops.