PDA

View Full Version : Doing a metal skin building with a storefront wall

Don Sutherland
2007-08-29, 08:12 PM
Is this a option or possible? I was thinking to offset the glass outward and make the material a metal skin color and use a 3/4" x 3/4" recess mullion storefront at 3' centers?

Any comments on this concept?

Teresa.Martin
2007-08-29, 08:22 PM
Hi! I think is sounds very do-able. You could tweak a system panel as well with additional options for different types of skin connectors, etc. That is entirely up to you.

Good luck!

Teresa

ron.sanpedro
2007-08-29, 08:41 PM
Is this a option or possible? I was thinking to offset the glass outward and make the material a metal skin color and use a 3/4" x 3/4" recess mullion storefront at 3' centers?

For really complex skin designs, we have used Groups and Generic Model families to create Unit Fascades. Floors don't work as well as we would like (they are not automatic), but floors repeat so once you get the first one you can Group it and have Unit Floor Plates as well. But if the skin will really be a curtain wall system with a mix of panels, then yeah, build the Revit model the exact same way.

Gordon

SkiSouth
2007-08-30, 12:53 PM

1. Think of the curtain wall as grids and panels, not glass and mullions. (not a criticism just helps keep your mind open to possibilities -:) )
2. A panel can be anything, brick, metal, etc. You'll need to define its composition (and shape - this is how I make clay tile roofs, using a sloped curtain panel shaped as a clay tile)
3. The grid is a system to hold the panels, glazed or not. Again define the shape as you wish. The trick gets to be how the edge of the panel interacts with the grid (or mullion), especially at corners whether 90 degree or not, there is still a corner condition you'll need to define.

You're idea is very much "do-able" There are several posted glazing panel families that allow for "butt-glazing" etc, that you might want to look at for some ideas on how to use the panel family. And as Gordon has said, draw it like you'd build it. Another nice feature about your selection of the storefront system is the ability to space the grid "automatically". On the project referenced below, the panel size changed. It was a simple matter of changing the storefront spacing and all elevations, etc were updating, including this linked max model....

Attached is the family I used. The ssg panel is posted HERE (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=10076&highlight=ssg+panel) on AUGI. Thanks to Scott, Steve and Phil for this thread.

These images (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=62348)are of a curtain wall with metal panels for the panel and the grid with the "joint".

Calvn_Swing
2007-08-30, 09:28 PM
1. Think of the curtain wall as grids and panels, not glass and mullions. (not a criticism just helps keep your mind open to possibilities -:) )
2. A panel can be anything, brick, metal, etc. You'll need to define its composition (and shape - this is how I make clay tile roofs, using a sloped curtain panel shaped as a clay tile)
3. The grid is a system to hold the panels, glazed or not. Again define the shape as you wish. The trick gets to be how the edge of the panel interacts with the grid (or mullion), especially at corners whether 90 degree or not, there is still a corner condition you'll need to define.

Ski...

That's why Autodesk needs to be open minded and instead of calling the curtain wall/storefront tool as such, it should call it a panelized system and allow users to set the category to roof, wall, floor, casework, etc...