PDA

View Full Version : Demolish Practice's

Matt H
2007-08-30, 03:52 PM
Hey all!

I have some quick questions about how some of you do Remodel plans...

On a building that is going to get all new doors and windows, do you demo all the existing doors and windows and then insert new doors and windows in the same locations??

Or should i just leave everything and make a note to the contractor to replace all doors and windows...

Justin Marchiel
2007-08-30, 04:17 PM
depends on how you want to see them graphically and schedule wise. i like to work more like the way it would be built. if you have an existing plan, you demo and add new stuff. this is how it is done in the field so i like to show it in my model. it saves a little confusion if someone else grabs the jobs and wonders why things are the way they are.

if you just want something quick and dirty you could also just select the old windows and doors and change there phase to new construction. the only down fall to this is that the existing plan wont have windows or doors.

Justin

ron.sanpedro
2007-08-30, 04:32 PM
Hey all!

I have some quick questions about how some of you do Remodel plans...

On a building that is going to get all new doors and windows, do you demo all the existing doors and windows and then insert new doors and windows in the same locations??

Or should i just leave everything and make a note to the contractor to replace all doors and windows...

I think it depends on a lot of things. If you are going to replace every single item, there aren't that many (a little residential remodel) and you are in an area with no energy codes or any requirements to improve the energy performance of the building when doing a remodel, then the note might be enough.
But, if you are not doing every item, and there are lots of them, then having the graphic representation really helps. And scheduling things really helps to. Maybe a Demo Window Schedule so pricing the work is easier? Or maybe you are actually demoing some single pane glass from the exterior, and reusing it elsewhere? A Demo schedule can help, both to coordinate the design, and keep the contractor from destroying the items you want saved. And for energy calcs, documenting what was there, to show improvement, is much easier when there is a schedule to go with the demo plan.
And lastly, I just like the consistency of EVERYTHING that is demo'd shows up in the demo plan with the same graphic look. If I have a wall and a counter dashed in the demo plan, I don't want to have a door and a window that don't, and that also show up as existing (screened) with a note in the Floor Plan, where the other new stuff is black lines. Just too much chance of error. And Revit does make it pretty easy to do. You Demo all your old stuff, and you can drop New stuff right on top. If you have your Phase Filter set to Show All you see the old stuff so you can align and size and such. Really easy. I think you could even Group all your demo'd stuff and drop it in again in a view that is New phase, and everything would work spiffy like. I am really starting to like some of the off label uses of Groups.

I am sure there are other benefits to the full Revit approach as well, but those are enough for me.

Gordon

Matt H
2007-08-30, 04:38 PM
Okay... I totally agree with both of you... I did demo all the doors and windows and then inserted new ones on top... But there is a problem... i'm getting A LOT of graphical inconsistencies that show up on the Existing plan... Windows lines are only half there... the Sill disappears on some windows ( i double checked head height and window size, i even re-inserted windows)

So i was seeing if anyone else had this problem. A support request has been filed as well.