PDA

View Full Version : Wide window trim and wall sweeps

adegnan
2004-08-08, 07:46 PM
Hey everyone.

I am working on this model with horizontal banding at the top and bottom of the windows. I've used hosted wall sweeps and this works well.

Also I need to do the same 1x8 wide trim running vertically on the side of each window. SO far I've used vertical hosted wall sweeps but this is tedious and has several drawbacks:

1) You need to use a different wall sweep for each and every piece.
2) you need to flip the handle on the sweeps to the right of the window, so that the defining line is away from the window. Otherwise, when you align the sweep with the window, it will be cut and removed!!
3) You then need to move the top and bottom end points of the sweep to match up with the horizontal sweeps.
4) You need to join geometry with the horizontal sweeps; otherwise edges shown.

Plus, if you have windows stacked above each other you cannot make the two separate sweeps.

So, the obvious answer is to model it in a family, right? Well I want someone to tell me. The problem is, then, the continuous horizontal band is a wall subcategory. You can't add a wall sweep in the family editor, so you need to do a sweep which become a window subcategory instead!

Do any of you see any difficulties with having the horizontal elements as wall sweeps while the vertical pieces are essentially wide trim as part of the window family, a window category? I'm also afraid of edges showing where they meet.

I have many windows to do so this is somewhat tedious; starting out on this many is enough for me! A better solution must be found before I continue!

Thanks,
Abe

cgrover
2004-08-08, 08:38 PM
I'm not sure if this is the best way, but it is how I approached this condition on a project I'm currently working on. I created them as an extrusion and then in plan copied them by picking the edge of the window. I did this for each elevation and it went fairly quickly with the multiple copy command. Anyway my 2 cents.

grover

mlgatzke
2004-08-09, 04:14 AM
Abe,

I've created 3 families (see attached). One is a vertical trim family, one is a horizontal trim family, and the third is a perimeter trim family (like for around windows or doors). They are wall hosted objects but I've created a sub-category for them so they can be independantly controlled.

adegnan
2004-08-09, 09:55 PM
Thanks Mike!

I modified the material settings and created a material parameter, set the default to "by category" and so now I can set the material universally or I can join geometry with something else and it will assume that material!

Grover, the extrusion would work great as well. I decided to use the family which is really just an extrusion anyway.