PDA

View Full Version : Thumbnail Previews in Windows Vista

Marek Brandstatter
2007-09-03, 03:46 PM
Some our Vista workstations are displaying RFA/RVT thumbnails in Windows Explorer correctly but others are not. Is there a known issue/fix with thumbnail previews in Vista?

I see that this similar thread is unresolved.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=26087 (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=26087)

LouisJ
2007-09-05, 01:43 PM
It looks like it is an error in the registry key (created on installing Revit)

To Fix:
1. Edit your registry (Start > Run, Type RegEdit and press <Enter>)
2. Find the following key:
Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F9CF7B2B-FC11-402E-880D-85C7CED86642}\InprocServer32
3. Double-Click to open the (Default) setting
4. Change the [Value Data] to:
C:\Program Files\Revit Architecture 2008\Program\RevitPreview.dll
5. Close the Registry Editor

Marek Brandstatter
2007-09-05, 01:54 PM
Thank you Louis. ;)

Nevine
2007-10-15, 07:56 PM
i checked it and the registery key is correct. still no thumbnails. very annoying

Marek Brandstatter
2007-10-29, 03:29 PM
It seems to be intermittent. We're looking into it again.

Nevine
2007-11-02, 03:09 PM
Will it help if I reload revit??

Anthony.d
2007-11-03, 07:52 PM
Sometimes I find I have to save as - Options - regenerate view. Then I will see the preview in explorer.

Mike Hardy-Brown
2008-11-20, 06:55 PM
Question,

For those who have thumbnail previews working...Do you have Revit Structure installed.
The preview .dll in the regedit points to the structure preview.dll file, which seems to work.
I copied that dll preview into my Revit Architecture (program files) and renamed my regedit to preview files in RAC, and it works.

..........................factory???????

Marek, Louis do you have these results with Structure machines too?

mmodernc
2008-12-20, 07:42 AM
Any resolution-this is extremelyfrustrating - revert to xp?

iankids
2008-12-20, 09:52 AM
Hi All,
FYI I submitted a support request for this with AutoDesk about two weeks back & forwarded them my data as requested. To date there has been no meaningful response. If & when I receive an answer from the factory I will post it here.

I must say that I don't hold out much hope as the whole thumbnail preview seems very flaky. Some people seem to have the thumbnails ok and other (like myself), do not.

I will let you know what I learn.

Cheers,

Ian

Vista 64bit Business edition

dbaldacchino
2008-12-20, 04:14 PM
Ian, I'm on your same OS and at some point, the thumbnails quit working (actually it was the icons more than anything). I re-installed Revit Architecture and that fixed it for me. I can now reliably see icons and thumbnails. I'll be installing RST and RMEP soon and I'll see if that changes things, as I've heard reports that other versions (namely a mix of 64 & 32 bit Revit apps) mess things up.

iankids
2008-12-20, 07:48 PM
Dave,
There are some posts around which indicate that everything shows up ok if you have RST installed. I would be interested to know if the installation of RST resolves it for you. (If so, maybe the factory will just issue me a copy of RST & be done with it?!?)

In my case, it was a complete clean install of both the operating system & RAC. I have ended up with no thumbnails, however when loading a family the mouse scrolls past the preview of the family appears in the preview window.

Given that Christmas is with us now, I plan to do yet another clean install and upgrade to WU3!!

Cheers, Happy Christmas & thanks for all your help during the year. Without you & the others here I would still be fumbling in the dark over so many matters.

Ian

dbaldacchino
2008-12-21, 04:08 AM
Ian, in my case re-installing RAC resolved the issue. So hopefully that will fix it for you too.

Marek Brandstatter
2008-12-21, 02:25 PM
You can try this:

Click Vista's Start button
In the Search box, type Cmd
Right-click on Command Prompt in the search result listing
Click “Run as Administrator"
Type regsvr32 "c:\program files\revit architecture2009\program\revitpreview.dll"

The above "correctly" registers revitpreview dll.

iankids
2008-12-22, 06:42 AM
Hi Marek

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a whirl but windows came up with an error:

"The module "revitpreview.dll" failed to load.

Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependant .DLL files.

The specified module could not be found."

The dll exists and is in the correct location. I have updated my support request with this info. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Ian

Marek Brandstatter
2008-12-22, 07:56 PM
Ian, what if you try with full pathing? eg.

regsvr32 "c:\program files\revit architecture2009\program\revitpreview.dll"

iankids
2008-12-23, 12:20 AM
Marek

I had tried the full path yesterday, but I just gave it another go just in case I had dyslexic fingers yesterday. Same result - same error message.

Cheers,

Ian
PS Congrats on the cricket win

Marek Brandstatter
2008-12-23, 05:12 AM
PS Congrats on the cricket win

Thanks, it's a funny game. Two more to go.

I've asked Louis to help out here. We've managed to get thumbnails working on all machines where we've encountered the problem.

iankids
2008-12-23, 06:03 AM
Full marks and a hearty thank you to Marek and his team at CadPlan.za. With the help of Louis from his office they managed to fix the windows vista problems in a flash!!!!

Marek's earlier suggestion was actually spot on the money.

regsvr32 "c:\program files\revit architecture2009\program\revitpreview.dll"

worked a treat. the bit I left out when doing it myself was the " "

When using the complete string, including the " ", everything is as it should be and I once again have previews on all of the families in the windows explorer.

Once again, thanks so much.
Cheers & happy Christmas

Ian

Mike Hardy-Brown
2008-12-23, 11:10 AM
Nice Marek / Louis

:beer:

dbaldacchino
2008-12-23, 03:28 PM
Thanks guys! I'll post this solution in the Tips & Tricks forum with a link to the this thread.

dbaldacchino
2009-02-15, 03:48 PM
I'm finding that the root of the cause in my case is not because revitpreview.dll is not registered properly. Let me explain.

I'm running Vista Enterprise 64 (this happened even under Business 64) and sometimes files seem to get "corrupt", where if you try to delete, move or rename the file in Explorer, or open the file in it's native application, it will not do it or in the case of the latter, will lock up the application. I have no idea what causes this but so far it has been only rvt, rfa and dwg files that cause it. One of the tell-tale signs that you have a problem file is that when you're in a folder that has one of these, the windows progress bar (at the address bar) moves slowly up and never stops moving really slowly. Another sign is that when you try to delete one of these files, it never stops calculating how long it's going to take and you have to force that dialog to close.

Usually the only files that do this are ones copied from another PC, such as through a USB, or transferred from another hard drive. I have no clue what causes this as I've never seen it on XP, but reports of this problem are not unheard of even with other file formats. Now I'm finding that a perfectly good copied rfa file can cause a new backup file to exhibit these symptoms (family.0001.rfa for example).

To work around the problem I'm using an application called MoveOnBoot by GiPo@Utilities, which you can download here (http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/File_Maintenance_and_Repair_Utilities/GiPo_FileUtilities.html). With this I'm able to delete the offending files on the next boot and the previews magically start working again.

Mike Hardy-Brown
2009-02-16, 06:31 AM
Thanks David!!!!!

Also found unlocker (http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/) which doesn't need the machine to reboot.
When I was running the batch upgrade utility, the same files that present this problem, crashed the upgrade utility. A common issues was: "solid geometry completely inside another", which I have found when upgrading RB9 files too.
Anyone else have other suggestions?
Factory?

dbaldacchino
2009-02-17, 02:49 AM
Hi Mike, Unlocker doesn't work yet for Vista 64. So for now I'm stuck with MoveonBoot!

Mike Hardy-Brown
2009-02-17, 05:07 AM
Hi Mike, Unlocker doesn't work yet for Vista 64. So for now I'm stuck with MoveonBoot!
:banghead: and still no word from the factory........?
maybe we should wait for next gen windows?
Would be nice if we had a bulk family upgrade, that deletes problem revit files or puts them into a dump folder.

Well David maybe you can have :beer: on restarts.....mind you, have to do it so often, will make you :???:

dbaldacchino
2009-02-18, 01:19 AM
Haha I know!! We can't figure out what causes it yet, although so far only laptops have had this issue. When trying to delete these problem files, Vista keeps calculating and you have to stop it/force it to close out of the dialog.

nweeks
2009-03-12, 09:36 PM
I have had previews not show and subsequently was unable to move rfa files via Windows Explorer. In fact after attempting the move, I could no longer open the rfa in Revit. I determined the problem is with the Preview Source in the Save As options. I somehow set it to 3d View 1 rather than the Active View. Even though 3d View 1 existed, it failed to create a preview.

In order to open the "corrupted" rfa, I set Windows Explorer View properties to always show icons, never thumbnails (requires explorer to restart to take affect). Once I restarted explorer, I was able to once again open the rfa with Revit, change the Preview Source to Active View, Preview created...life is good again.

I have submitted this to Autodesk. Hopefully they will fix it!

I should add, I am running Revit Architecture 2009 on Vista 64 bit.

dbaldacchino
2009-03-12, 09:55 PM
Thanks for that tip and for submitting it. Next time I encounter that issue I'll give it a shot. So far it's been working ok.

iankids
2009-03-12, 10:59 PM
Hi All,

This problem is driving me nuts! Since Louis and Marek sorted out the initial problem of the registering of the dll file, I have had the same sort of problems as Dave and others describe with certain files "locking up" a whole folder.

Whilst the fixes that Dave & others have suggested work, they are enormously time consuming to undertake when one is dealing with lots of folders and lots of families within the folders.

This whole problem has a huge efficiency hit on my output.

Please, Please, Please Factory Fix this ASAP

Ian

Les Therrien
2009-03-14, 01:58 AM
what a pain in the arse!

tmaple.129634
2009-03-31, 10:25 PM
Hi All,

I am having a similar problem in XP Pro x64. i can't see the thumbnails. I've tried the RevitPreview.dll fix but to no avail. any ideas??

Dereck67591
2009-04-06, 09:26 AM
good day all...

I also have been experiencing the dreaded files of corruption. and it has been causing me headache after headache, I think i might have found a solution. please don't hold me to it as i have only found this solution recently and although i have been using Revit, i have not been using it constantly... so far no issues.....
I am also running Windows Vista x64 and have the same issue mainly with the *.rfa files not so much with the *.rvt and *.rte. the thing is though i have a laptop and a desktop both of witch i use Vista x64 and both seem to be presenting the same issues.

what i have done is as follows. in the "device manger" expand the "disk drives" category and find the drives that are listed there... right click on one of the drives and click "properties". go to the policies tab and there should be an option there called "enable Write Caching On Disk" turn this off... you might need to do this for all the drives listed under the "disk drives" in the "device manger"

like i said this seems to be helping at the moment but have not been able to check it fully.... will keep you posted.....

dbaldacchino
2009-04-06, 02:34 PM
Thanks Dereck, keep us posted. Do you mind sharing how you got to that conclusion? What info. led you to that setting? I haven't tried it yet. The previous suggestion from another post (disabling previews, re-saving the file, then re-enabling previews) has worked for me although ti's a pain in the a$$. I'm SO looking forward to a permanent solution!

Dereck67591
2009-04-07, 06:48 AM
hi there...

My workings has been trial and error. i have been all over the net looking or information and i am not sure the issue lies with Autodesk or Microsoft. at the moment i am leaning towards Autodesk with a little intervention from Microsoft...
what confuses me is that the file is the correct size once you have saved the file, and you cannot edit, move, copy or even look at the properties of the file...
I have tried working with the properties of the file system on my computer and increased the file index for the drive... i did this as i read that if you have allot of small files you should do this as the file index would grow exponentially very quickly.
i set this by going to the CMD prompt and then typing
"FSUTIL behavior set mftzone either 3"
you can Google what this dose and it will explain it i found the info on. (http://www.ss64.com/nt/fsutil.html)
that is when i tried the "caching" option in the properties and it seems to have slowed or even solved the issue, but like i said i can not be 100% sure till have have been working continually. As a precaution i have been saving at intervals more that once, some times up to 3 - 4 times just make sure i don't lose the file...

i must admit that this issue is quite dumb and i don't see how such a stupid problem ever came about...

iankids
2009-04-07, 10:45 AM
Hi Dereck,

Many, Many thanks for this!! :-)

This has substantially improved the number of rfa's where I can now view the thumbnail. Not perfect. but a lot better than it was.

Thanks again.

Dave, are you able to say if problem is still an issue in 2010?

Cheers,

Ian

Dereck67591
2009-04-07, 11:20 AM
oh good.... i am glad it managed to help you just out of curiosity

if you are in Revit either about to load or open a family where the preview is not shown, and you select it, dose your Revit hang.... this is what mine was and still dose with any files that i had saved previously that are corrupt... and those are the problem children at the moment. I have been using Revit today and I don't seem to be getting the issue... so maybe i might have stumbled on to something... But i wont hold my breath.... LOL

iankids
2009-04-07, 09:50 PM
oh good.... i am glad it managed to help you just out of curiosity

if you are in Revit either about to load or open a family where the preview is not shown, and you select it, dose your Revit hang.... this is what mine was and still dose with any files that i had saved previously that are corrupt... and those are the problem children at the moment. I have been using Revit today and I don't seem to be getting the issue... so maybe i might have stumbled on to something... But i wont hold my breath.... LOL

In my case, the vast majority of the troublesome files had been the backup files (.001 suffix) created after using the batch upgrade tool when upgrading to 2009 from 2008. The troublesome files would not load & Revit just hangs until it stops working. A bugger if you havn't saved for a while ;-(

Initially, I deleted all of the 001 files. Those which windows would not allow to be deleted were torched using the "move on boot" program Dave mentioned above. This process, which works fine, is painfully slow as one locates the troublesome beast - sets it up for demolition & ultimately reboots etc etc. Pressures of needing to get jobs out have led me to suspend my efforts to work through every folder and deleting on reboot.

As it got closer to release date, I also was living in the hope that 2010 would fix this for once and for all.

Generally I have found that it seems to be the files which were created in an earlier version of Revit and then upgraded which are the culprits. I have yet to find a family which is native 2009 having the same issues.

Cheers,

Ian

dbaldacchino
2009-04-07, 10:25 PM
The suggestion in this post (http://forums.augi.com/showpost.php?p=952717&postcount=27) has worked for me and I was able to re-open the defective files without losing them. It was a matter of figuring out which one was causing the hold-up (open the folder in explorer and show preview...previews will not generate past the defective file). Then follow the procedure to disable previews, open and resave the files and then you can go back and re-enable previews.

LouisJ
2009-04-15, 10:01 AM
I look in Windows Explorer, I see all my RFAs have their thumbnails.

I start Revit 2010, look in the same Windows Explorer folder, NO THUMBNAILS!

I was hoping that Autodesk would've sorted this problem out a long time ago, but it's just getting worse.

Here's what you need to do if you want to see thumbnails of Revit files, on any Vista system, (even the computers where Revit is not installed):

1. Create a folder called RevitPreview

2. Find the following files on a computer where Revit is installed:
dbghelp.dll
Graphics.dll
Interface.dll
MC3.dll
ot1000asu.dll
RevitPreview.dll
RWUXThemeSU80.dll
sfl400asu.dll
tbb.dll
Utility.dll
vc8-re200l.dll

3. Copy them into your RevitPreview folder.

4. Create a batch file also in this folder, call it Register.bat, edit it and add the following text to it:
@Echo Off
Regsvr32.exe "RevitPreview.dll"
@Echo On

That's it.

Now if you want to get Windows to show you thumbnails of Revit files, just run the Register.bat file (double-click on it)
If you have your Vista security settings block this, then you'll have to set the Privilege level (in the file's properties) to "Run with Administrator".

I am not sure how 'legal' it is to copy these Revit files to other computers, but if you have a problem with it, you can just copy the Register.bat file to your Revit's \Program\ folder, and run it from there. (Revit does not have to be registered for this to work)

Mike Hardy-Brown
2009-04-15, 10:32 AM
Hi Louis,
Tried that, but get an error message, that revitpreview.dll was loaded but failed to register?
attached image.

Cheers

Mike

LouisJ
2009-04-15, 01:34 PM
Mike

Are you using Revit64bit and/or Windowss64bit?

Mike Hardy-Brown
2009-04-15, 02:02 PM
Nope 32 bit for both

LouisJ
2009-04-15, 02:33 PM
Mike

What is the product version of your RevitPreview.dll?

I find that the Revit 2008 preview worked better for me.

My RevitPreview.dll version is 20080321_1900

LouisJ
2009-04-15, 02:39 PM
Mike

Download this:
RevitPreview (7.34Mb) (http://www.bimhighway.com/beta/revitpreview.zip)

Unzip into the same folder on your computer and run Register.bat

Mike Hardy-Brown
2009-04-15, 02:39 PM
It's 2009, where all the problems started.
I find that the Rvt 6 files are particularly problematic, even if upgraded.
I would imagine (in theory) that any of my upgraded files (to 2009) will not be viewable with the 2008 preview.dll

LouisJ
2009-04-15, 02:45 PM
I don't have a problem with the thumbnails of 2009 files. Try the trick above and let me know if it worked or not.

The problem is that the RevitPreview.dll file did not get registered (when you installed Revit) and looks like it doesn't want to register manually.

If the RevitPreview.dll is registered, your thumbnails should be there.

Mike Hardy-Brown
2009-04-15, 02:49 PM
Nope.. not working.
Error msg:
Make sure thet binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent. DLL files.

The specified module could not be found.
:banghead:

LouisJ
2009-04-15, 02:57 PM
Edit the Register.bat file and add a path to the RevitPreview.dll string

Like:

Regsvr32.exe "C:\MyFoldername\RevitPreview.dll"

and try again

Mike Hardy-Brown
2009-04-16, 06:52 AM
Cheers Louis...That works!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Factory, please deposit a large amount of money in Louis' bank account for this

8-) :grin: :razz:

LouisJ
2009-04-16, 08:44 AM
Rather put the money as unmarked bills in a big brown paper bag...

Mike Hardy-Brown
2009-04-16, 09:45 AM
I'll collect for you:)

funkman
2009-04-24, 05:46 AM
Louis you really are an icon for working this one out. Thanks - this has got my thumbnails working

sncservices
2009-05-12, 11:07 PM
Edit the Register.bat file and add a path to the RevitPreview.dll string

Like:

Regsvr32.exe "C:\MyFoldername\RevitPreview.dll"

and try again

louisjacobs you sound like you know what your talking about.... i did everything that was talked about before but to No Avail...... I read through this entire thread from start to finish and tried various things to no Avail..... The last fix that you posted with the full path and copying the various files..... I have tried that ..... I made the register.bat file and when I run it is says....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"RegSvr32
[big red x in a circle] The module "c:\RevitPreview\RevitPreview.dll" failed to load.

Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I am running "Windows Vista Business SP1" 64bit
8 gigs of Ram, quad core 3.20 dual processors (HP xw8600 workstation)

I have Revit Architecture 2010 installed, part of the Revit Architecture suite.....(I have Autocad Architeture 2010 and Autocad 2010 installed too.....THEIR THUMBNAILS WORK.... AS DO JPG ETC..... only Revit Thumbnails don't work.) I had the same problem with Revit 2009..... and was waiting till the new release thinking the problem would go away..... but Nay..... the problem seems here to stay and after all of your good advice and different suggestions..... Do you have anything else in your well of knowlege?

Thanks Good day, Look forward to your reply....

i did everything in the past two threads to NO avail up to this point.....

LouisJ
2009-05-13, 12:41 PM

sncservices,

The error tells you what the problem is. The specified module (RevitPreview.dll) could not be found in the folder that you specified (c:\RevitPreview) in your batch file.

If you downloaded the files that I zipped and uploaded in this thread, and you unzipped it into the C:\RevitPreview folder, make sure you can see the RevitPreview.dll file in that folder.

sncservices
2009-05-13, 01:18 PM
more error.... The "RevitPreview.dll" was definitly visible

it's also visible in it's home directory:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2010\Program\RevitPreview.dll

to be a good boy I unzipped your file and ran it a-fresh after reading your thread..... posted up a new error......

I have attached the new error to this thread....

Says " DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005 " I am very busy so I haven't had a chance to google that code up yet....... Thanks for your time.....

And I also look forward to your reply.....

Good day....

LouisJ
2009-05-13, 02:14 PM
Try registering it manually as Administrator:

1. Click on your Vista Start button
2. In the [Start Search] box, type command
3. Right-Click on Command prompt and select Run as Administrator
4. In the command prompt console, goto the folder where the DLL is saved (Type CD\RevitPreview and press [Enter])
5. In the RevitPreview folder type this: Regsvr32.exe RevitPreview.dll

OR

Go to Control panel > User accounts and turn (UAC) off and then try running the batch file again.

wbenatti
2009-05-14, 10:46 AM
Hi all , I'm also having same problems and I have accompanied all the mailing about it.
I wrote about to the Autodesk support and received the following yesterday (2009-05-13):

"Dear Wagner,

This should be addressed in the first web update of Revit 2010.

Best regards,

Don Falkowski
Autodesk Support Team"

some of you already knew about it?

sncservices
2009-05-14, 02:32 PM
Try registering it manually as Administrator:

1. Click on your Vista Start button
2. In the [Start Search] box, type command
3. Right-Click on Command prompt and select Run as Administrator
4. In the command prompt console, goto the folder where the DLL is saved (Type CD\RevitPreview and press [Enter])
5. In the RevitPreview folder type this: Regsvr32.exe RevitPreview.dll

OR

Go to Control panel > User accounts and turn (UAC) off and then try running the batch file again.

Sir Jacobs......

You've done well...... But my stubborn system will not respond......

I've attached thumbs of the success, as well as my dos command prompt sequence......

i did this yesterday and I came in today on a fresh restart hoping to see the benefits...... but Still no Icons..... I saw the post today that said..... Autodesk is aware of the problem.... no help to me ...... when is that going to be released?

Well your dilgence at least got me to be able to load that stubborn dll file..... I just wish there was another program/like a thumbnail viewer etc that I could use in the mean time....

Thank you for all your hard work and suggestions helping so many others.....

If you get any more inspiration ..... don't hesitate to fire it over...... I used to be microsoft system admin the job before this one..... but this type of thing is over my head..... anything you want to fire at me I will try...... thanks a mil..... have a good day....

Chuk........

sncservices
2009-07-15, 12:41 PM
Thumnails will show up if you install the latest update

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=12828862

but there are some registry issues (if you are running vista 64) if you find that some families are getting hung up you will have to settle for having thumbnails show up, after being clicked, in the bottom left of vista explorer.

If your registry gets gummed up by this update, run this at the cmd promped

Go to the Windows Menu>RUN>CMD

Within the command window copy below line and paste into command line by right-clicking>paste.

RegSvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2010\Program\RevitPreview.dll"

Your thumbnails will go away but it should solve the registry issue (where some families will load/copy/move/delete, having got stuck in a registry process)

You will be prompted with a completion window and then restart your computer. Let me know if you have any problems.

You will have to browse through your family files to see previews within the revit program until there is a fix for the problem.

LouisJ
2009-07-15, 12:54 PM
...and what happens when you Register the RevitPreview.dll again?

sncservices
2009-07-15, 01:14 PM
Haven't Tried it yet but I will (Re-registering the driver)
I will post my results

Haden
2009-09-29, 05:28 PM
This should be addressed in the first web update of Revit 2010.

Best regards,

Don Falkowski
Autodesk Support Team"

That was 5/13/09, and the web update came out in mid June. Now, it's the end of September, and I am running 2010 (WITH web update 1) on a laptop with Vista Ult 64, as well as many installs of 2010+WU1 on XP, none of which are showing the previews, either in windows explorer OR in the file open dialogue of Revit.

Has this been addressed, or did the factory quietly skip past it in the last web update? :mad:

Update: I tried installing 2010 and applying the web update on another xp machine, and it now works. I suspect that the install procedure that downloads the Service Packs and Updates does not always apply them even though it includes them in the configuration process for the install. (I would rather not have it lead me on, frankly!) Still, though, I don't see a fix for Vista here...

gordolake
2009-12-09, 12:27 AM
This is still an issue with Autodesk Revit Architecture 2010 - 20090925_1815(x64) running on Windows 7. (otherwise runs by far the best yet on i7 6gb)

from reading above posts I'm not sure which fix is most appropriate.

I checked in regedit for revitpreview.dll looks to be pointing to the correct folder (C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2010\Program\RevitPreview.dll)

Tryed the saveas with diffrent view on backup library copies on xp64 amchine, then copied to win7 machine, still poblems.

Factory support doesn't support win7 yet but wants to be kept informed (by me??)

may try the disk caching turn off fix

or the disable thumbnails fix

or .......

Any one offer the ultimate and final fix for this mess?????

oh, did I mention explorer crashes as well............

thanks
steve

Wes Macaulay
2010-01-08, 08:19 PM
My laptop running Win7 Pro has the crashing problem with pre-2010 families -- select one in Windows Explorer and it immediately crashes. I can open them in Revit 2010 and even delete them from there -- but not in Windows Explorer. I also have a SR logged for this.

gordolake
2010-01-11, 12:22 AM
Yes Wes, sounds exactly like my prob above. support doesn't support Win7 yet. I went through manualy and changed the view from {3D} to View1 or the other way around, then saved, this made a new thumbnail and explorer stopped crashing. Maybe someone could edit the family upgrade utility to accomplish this automatically.

steve

Wes Macaulay
2010-01-11, 05:10 PM
So -- the story is here that you cannot select, move, open or delete a pre-2010 family in Windows 7 x64 -- Windows Explorer immediately crashes. But you can open or delete them from inside Revit ...because of course you're not actually using Windows Explorer to do this ;-)

So those of you having this problem -- the families are apparently safe; you just have to open them from Revit. You can't launch them directly from Windows Explorer.

ws
2010-02-16, 04:12 PM
Just came across this post in the Revitclinic blog on the subject which might be of interest:
http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/02/thumbnail-previews-and-locked-files-in-windows-explorer.html#comments

bappaditya.kundu633966
2012-04-26, 09:14 AM
We are looking for Thumbnail Previews for Windows 64bit.

Also please provide the regedit path for Revit 2012 & 2011.