PDA

View Full Version : u shaped stairs

Justin Marchiel
2007-09-04, 08:07 PM
I can never seem to make u shaped stairs. It appears that i need to leave a small gap between the 2 flights.

Is this everyone else experience, or am i doing something wrong?

Justin

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-09-04, 08:27 PM
You do need to have a gap segment otherwise you are essentially left with two boundary lines that overlap and Revit can't figure that out

Justin Marchiel
2007-09-04, 08:41 PM
yeah that i what i experienced, but i just wanted to make sure i was doing something wrong.

Justin

SkiSouth
2007-09-05, 01:21 PM
I can never seem to make u shaped stairs. It appears that i need to leave a small gap between the 2 flights.

Is this everyone else experience, or am i doing something wrong?

Justin

But in reality, there's always a small gap. The gap can be closed by how the stringer is placed on the stair. Make the stair whatever width when you define it, then use a dimension string to pull it down to what you need. Offset the stringer to complete the closure.

Justin Marchiel
2007-09-05, 08:26 PM
there doesn't need to be a gap. i have built many stair where the stringer (or in the case of monolic concrete stairs) are atight together.

As mentioned the problem is that revit can't compute the 2 boundaries ontop of each other.

Justin

rjcrowther
2007-09-05, 10:22 PM
Most of my stairs are monolithic concrete. You absolutely need that gap. I make the gap as small as possible and as far as the drawings go, it does not make a lot of difference. I place a reference plane for dimensioning so I do not actually dimension the stairs.

I have often thought of making up a detail family to indicate stairs but invariably there are head height issues so I need to take sections through to check.

For what it is worth, ADT and ArchiCAD (circa Jan 2006) stairs were not any better than Revit at producing real world stairs. It seems to be a difficulty in 3D cad that is yet to be overcome.

Rob