PDA

View Full Version : Railings at Continuous Stairs

wbs69117950
2007-09-05, 12:28 PM
I created a continuous stair, via the 4 story stair in the Paul Aubin book tutorial for the commercial project. Technically, it was created as a 1 story stair, then Ctrl+C and Paste->Aligned to the other levels. Noticed that the inside railing, since it is closed on itself, creates a baluster that runs the full height of the stair tower at the start/end point of the stair. The book work around is to create a 1" gap with the sketch lines at the start/end point, in order to break the continuity.

This eliminates the full height baluster, but creates other things that are not desirable either: A non-continuous railing, not just horizontally, but also vertically, as one part of the railing sits about 6-12" higher than the part that is 1" away horizontally. I also noticed at the lowest level, as the railing turns 90degs away from the stair run, the balusters are floating off the floor, as they end at the top of the stringer, and do not continue to the floor.

Without going further into my Revit learning, can anyone quickly tell me if there are satisfactory fixes for these types of issues?

I am fighting the proverbial dilemma of in Autocad you can draw it correctly, although not as quickly - since you can put the lines where they should be vs. in Revit you can draw it quickly, but where I am today not entirely correctly.

niki_funky
2007-09-05, 12:32 PM
You can use custom baluster where the railings meet.

best regards
niki

bgauthier
2007-09-05, 12:56 PM
I don't know about you levels on this project, but maybe you can use the multistory top level (if your levels have all the same heigth).
Regarding the missing railing, it all depends on the level of detail you need. You can draw a small railing or only detail lines. It still costs you less time to draw those litte part than drawing a whole stair in a cross section drawing.

SkiSouth
2007-09-05, 06:39 PM
One - remember to offset the first riser at landings - not revit limit- architecture saavy.

Next do NOT use one stair and copy. Define lower and upper level and let Revit "fill in the blank." of course - that's only my opinion.