PDA

View Full Version : Triple casement..i want 2 unequal casements.....

Tommason
2007-09-05, 02:56 PM
Hi,

I've created my own family from one of the standard metric ones and am trying to make a window where all 3 glazed areas are not equal in size.
In element properties there is only the option to change the generic casement size and not the specific size. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Tom

dhurtubise
2007-09-05, 03:02 PM
The family you started with is probably constrain to be EQ.
You will need to create parameter to make it react the way you want it.

Where are you from in Canada ?

Tommason
2007-09-05, 04:19 PM
I've tried fiddling with the parameters, but there seems to be one hidden somewhere....I'm only about 24 hours in (experience time) so not sure if I'm looking in all the correct places.

Actually, I'm not in Canada, it's just an email I got when I went over there a few years ago to work on a ski hill (Apex Mountain Resort, Penticton, BC)

Tom

dhurtubise
2007-09-05, 04:24 PM
How do you want that Window to change, like each side panel are the same and the middle one gets adjusted based on the overall width ?

cdatechguy
2007-09-05, 04:36 PM
I've tried fiddling with the parameters, but there seems to be one hidden somewhere....I'm only about 24 hours in (experience time) so not sure if I'm looking in all the correct places.

Actually, I'm not in Canada, it's just an email I got when I went over there a few years ago to work on a ski hill (Apex Mountain Resort, Penticton, BC)

Tom

Thats funny....I just had breakfast with a couple this weekend at a B&B in Chelan, WA that were from Penticton...

One issue your having is having the casement widths/planes in the Ref Level being labeled and them being dimensioned in the Exterior view as well.

If you want all three to be different then you will want a Casement Left Width, Casement Right Width and so on or you can have it be based on a formula for when the overall width changes.

Tommason
2007-09-05, 04:40 PM
ideally I'd like to be able to adjust the left hand and right hand casements separately and have the centre panel adjust itself automatically.... :D

Tommason
2007-09-05, 04:42 PM
Thats funny....I just had breakfast with a couple this weekend at a B&B in Chelan, WA that were from Penticton...

One issue your having is having the casement widths/planes in the Ref Level being labeled and them being dimensioned in the Exterior view as well.

That's quite weird on the Penticton front...

yeah, i added the dimensions... :)

cdatechguy
2007-09-05, 04:48 PM
That's quite weird on the Penticton front...

yeah, i added the dimensions... :)

Having those extra dimensions will overconstrain the model. So by making the window larger you will not be able to change the outer window sizes.

So if you want to adjust the left and right and the center to change based on those, you can add a formula for the center window to be something like =overall width - (left casement + right casement)
That way you can still change the left and the right and the center will just change based on that and the overall.

Tommason
2007-09-05, 05:26 PM
So if you want to adjust the left and right and the center to change based on those, you can add a formula for the center window to be something like =overall width - (left casement + right casement)
That way you can still change the left and the right and the center will just change based on that and the overall.

....I think that happens already, the area I've had trouble with is that the two casements are constrained to be equal, I can't find where this constraint is...

Tommason
2007-09-05, 05:27 PM
even without the extra dimensions

cdatechguy
2007-09-05, 05:38 PM
Both have the same label "Casement Width"....if you want the to be different you have to add another width label.

And your right, adding that formula is what it would do anyway. oops.

Tommason
2007-09-06, 11:07 AM
.....that's it!, superb...Cheers for that... :D

Tom

clog boy
2007-09-06, 11:16 AM
How did you make the cavity closer??

Tommason
2007-09-06, 01:19 PM
...much as I'd like to take the kudos for that - I can't, cos i didn't!
It's one of the metric standard windows from autodesk/revit