PDA

View Full Version : Curved Column Display Problems

WillE1984
2007-09-07, 02:31 PM
Has anyone else had trouble with how curved structural columns display in plan? I have run into a lot of strange problems. Sometimes when I cut the column, no matter what the view range is... it displays the entire length of the element below. I then created a test project and ran into another strange issue. No matter what level I cut through the column the plan display was always exactly the same. This time it didn't show the entire colum below... it displayed the same cut at every level. The curved column was created in a Structural Column family using a sweep. Any input on this issue would be great.

tkrich00
2007-09-07, 05:57 PM
I tried the same thing you and got the same result - the column always cuts in the same place. Have you tried using a curved structural beam? I have been using them for x bracing and the cut properly in plan and section. I also have been using architectural columns and they have been cutting properly too.

WillE1984
2007-09-07, 06:50 PM
Still no luck! I tried creating a vertical curved column out of a "structural beam" but it still had the same display problems. The same goes for the architectural column. Either I'm missing something or this is a strange bug.

dhurtubise
2007-09-09, 02:51 PM
Structural members are not cuttable.
Use a generic model or youère getting the same consistent cut

tkrich00
2007-09-10, 02:55 PM
Structural columns and members are cuttable according to Revit - Where does it say they are not?

dhurtubise
2007-09-10, 03:00 PM
You define the cut in the family. Use symbolic line to get the cut you want.

jrichardson
2007-09-10, 06:54 PM
Curved Column in Revit??? Is this a familiy that you are creating from one of the Family templates? If so, I would check the view range of the reference level within the family. the current Structural Column template in RS2008 is defaulted to Top=7'-6", Cut plan = 4'-0", Bottom = 0'-0", and View depth Level = 0'-0". Set all four fields to 0'-0" and see what happens. This will usually work for me when I have made tapered/curved columns. It appears that setting these fields to 0'-0" allows the family to take on the project view range.

jamie

WillE1984
2007-09-11, 03:24 PM
Yes, I have been using the structural column template. I just tried setting the view depth level to 0'-0"... still no change unfortunately. Here is a file that demonstrates the problem for anyone else who would like to check it out...

JamesVan
2007-09-12, 02:12 AM
You define the cut in the family. Use symbolic line to get the cut you want.

To elaborate on Daniel's suggestion, in the Family go to Settings-Family Category and Parameters and try these settings. It should give you what you're looking for.

WillE1984
2007-09-12, 03:41 PM
Ohhhhh... I didn't know that pre-cut option existed. Thanks a lot!

dhurtubise
2007-09-12, 04:04 PM
Got introduce in 9.1 i think... anyone ..