PDA

View Full Version : Print Resolutions and Accounting for Bleed

stusic
2007-09-10, 04:24 AM
I got tired of doing all this math to calculate the resolutions I should use when rendering scenes bound for printing. I like setting up the render to include the bleed area, and using safe frames to show the actual print. I've made an excel sheet that calculates the image resolution at 300dpi and adds a 1/8th inch bleed for one or two sides in either the horizontal or vertical direction. It also gives you the percent reduction to set up your safe frames in Max.

If you have any suggestions to improve it or questions about it, feel free to ask.

Enjoy!

dellis
2007-09-11, 02:12 PM
There is already one of these built in MAX. Go to the rendering drop down and then go to Print Size Wizard. This figures out what you need and then changes your render settings for you...if my memory serves me.

stusic
2007-09-12, 02:45 AM
I've seen the Print Wizard, but that only computes the actual printed resolution, not taking into account bleed. The printed size is as easy as multiplying the printed size by 300 (assuming 300 dpi).

It also doesn't create safe frames to show the printed area, so even if you create a printed size of 8.75"x11.25" (adding 1/8" inch bleed on all sides), you won't be able to tell what will actually print and what will be lost as part of the bleed.

What I've been doing, in the Safe Frames dialog, is creating a Live Area of the printed document including bleed (in this example an 8.5" x 11" document). This is 2550x3300, plus 37.5 pixels for each side of bleed, making the total image size 2625x3375. Then to create the percentage reduction for the safe frame that will show the actual printed area of the image, I divide the printed size from the size including bleed. then bump over the decimal a couple of places and subtract the result from 100.

(37.5*2) + 2550 = 2625
2625 / 2550 = 0.9714
0.9714 * 100 = 97.14
100 - 97.14 = 2.86
2.86% reduction to the Action Safe Area

This gives you the Action Safe percentage reduction to get the 1/8" bleed on both sides, and gives you a frame to know what will print and what is part of the bleed. But the calculation above is only the for the width, and the vertical size isn't the same percentage (it's 2.22%).

Too much work. That's why I made this.