PDA

View Full Version : Can't dimension filled region arcs?

patricks
2007-09-11, 01:15 PM
I have a filled region in a detail with a couple of arc segments. The arc dimension tool doesn't seem to work on it. It doesn't work on arcs on masking regions, either. It will work in sketch mode, but not after finishing the sketch. Is this a bug in 2008? This is a big deal as I need to dimension these things in my detail.

I'm running the build from this past June.

Andre Baros
2007-09-11, 02:25 PM
I've found that you can't dimension to the edges of a filled region and always have a double line (detail line over filled region) for the edges which I want to dimension to. You can also do it with a ref plane. The nice thing about this is that when you have a lot of lines in a detail, you can essentially choose where your dimensions snap to.

kpaxton
2007-09-11, 02:27 PM
Patrick,

Yes, I was able to repeat your problem on my machine and my laptop. I think this is a bug. As a temporary work around... and i know this isn't the greatest, I use a Detail Line, use the Pick Tool (arrow), and pick the arc. This places a line over the arc in question. This line CAN be dimensioned to. I then grab the lines end grips and drag them to make a very small arc line, just for a reference to the dimension. Note. This can be locked when created so as to move with the arc.

Not a pretty fix, but it will allow dimensioning. Cheers!

Regards,
Kyle

jeffh
2007-09-11, 02:29 PM
I just verified what you have described. I alos checked Revit 9 and it does not work there either. So I would suspect this is an as designed behavior/limitation. Not sure why it is this way:? I can log this behavior with development for further investigation.

You can always place a detail line using the pick option directly on top of the arc of your filled region and this will allow you to place the dimension you need.

patricks
2007-09-11, 03:21 PM
I could have sworn that I have dimensioned to arcs in filled regions in the past, but I don't know for sure.

I can dimension to straight segment edges of filled regions just fine. It's just those dang arcs that are messing me up.

Oh well, for now I have just pointed to the arc w/ a text note and called out the radius. We are in CD's so it's very unlikely that the arc's dimension will be changing.