PDA

View Full Version : Parking striping

Mike Sealander
2007-09-11, 06:20 PM
Has anyone figured out how to do parking striping on uneven terrain?

hdjohnson
2007-09-11, 06:44 PM
It's very time consuming, but you could use a Subregion to draw all of the stripping. I did it once for a project....Once....

sbrown
2007-09-11, 07:44 PM
Parking stripe automatically follow the terrain.

cphubb
2007-09-12, 04:06 AM
But they do not "drape" over the site. They will be placed flat based on their insertion point

Chad Smith
2007-09-12, 04:47 AM
I submitted this exact request into the new Revit Wishlist form earlier today. It's been on my list for a long time.

sbrown
2007-09-12, 08:54 PM
Yes but your parking stalls should not be that bumpy that you would notice the diff. in the 20' in length.

cphubb
2007-09-13, 04:20 PM
you must only work in Kansas. Here in Seattle we get 5% and greater slopes on our parking all the time. Parking spaces do not work in that environment at all.

sbrown
2007-09-13, 05:42 PM
I've never worked in Kansas. I've worked on some extreme slopes. Parking strips should rotate to match the tangent of the slope so they should work fine if you parking is evenly sloped. My guess is your grading has some issues(which revit is very poor at grading). Also its very hard to document parking on slopes. You could try to place a sloped floor on top of your topo that can then host the spaces.

cphubb
2007-09-13, 08:00 PM
When we place Site based parking spaces on sloped topo the insertion point sticks to the topo and the rest of the space goes straight off from that elevation. That results in either the space floating over the surface or being partially buried. We have needed to turn on wireframe on many site plans for this reason. in 3D they look really bad.
We have since developted a floor based space for use with parking structures and ramps. Sometimes we do overlay a floor for the lot and remove a portion of the topo and use our floor based. However we are usually able to get the surface pretty flat but we still get wierd behavior from the parking. They even cast shadows.

cek
2009-09-21, 10:54 PM
I don't know if anyone has come up with a better solution for parking lot strpping on sloped surfaces but I have worked around this problem as follows:

I would suspect that the majority of what we want to see in a rendering is the building and not the parking so I've resorted to editing my floor element that is representing my concrete or asphalt parking area only in that portion of the model visible in my renderings. I duplicate the floors, cut the strips out of one and reduce the other to represent only the strips and adjust to register the two floors, then reassign the materials to delineate the strips. The effect looks good and I limit the amount of editing necessary to acheive the desired results in the rendering.

Mike Sealander
2009-09-22, 12:49 AM
The problem with parking striping is really the problem with doing anything in RAC that is beyond the confines of the visible portions of a building. Revit in many ways is the rich man's version of Sketchup. This is not to deny Revit is a really cool program. Rather, there is a distinct problem with trying to model reality on the desktop. The problem is compounded by attempts to categorize portions of reality. What is a roof? What is a wall? These constructs don't exist in reality. Filtering reality using those concepts always leads to trouble.
What is a parking stripe? How do you write software to model it? How can you create an array of parking stripes? What is a parking space? Is there a way to model parking spaces so they can be scheduled?

gwnelson
2009-09-22, 12:00 PM
I've been making stripes as sub-regions of the topo, usually just tracing over imported civil dwg. A little time consuming but it follows terrain, will render & without striping looks barren. It works for Hcap space symbols (paste in edit mode) as well as pasting entire rows of sketching.

josh.made4worship
2009-09-22, 08:01 PM
Glenn,

How did you get your curbing in there? Did you use floor objects and then manually edit the edges to work with the changes in terrain elevations or something else?

gwnelson
2009-09-22, 08:37 PM
Yeah, Josh. The grips on floors are the coolest things that allow curbs & islands like that. Add a little poke-through of topo & they will host plantings, too.

I've had to do a few shopping centers this year & the process works pretty well.