PDA

View Full Version : upside down dims

mom of 3
2007-09-12, 12:54 PM
this is going to sound weird, but here is what happened:

I took an old drawing (just to test out) from 2006 & saved in 2008 on my hard drive so I could experiment with the annotative functions. I have added 2 different scales, then I created an annotative dim style as well. the drawing currently didn't have any dims in it as we do all dims in paperspace in 2006. I tried to draw a dim, but it came in upside down. I checked my text style just to make sure that it wasn't set to upside down, it's not. I went back through & checked my dim style, but that looks fine as well. I then went & checked my UCS, it is still world, like I had set it originally. does anyone have any ideas on why the dims are upside down?

*my dimassoc is already set to 2, also*

Capt. Computer Crasher
2007-09-12, 01:21 PM
this is going to sound weird, but here is what happened:

I took an old drawing (just to test out) from 2006 & saved in 2008 on my hard drive so I could experiment with the annotative functions. I have added 2 different scales, then I created an annotative dim style as well. the drawing currently didn't have any dims in it as we do all dims in paperspace in 2006. I tried to draw a dim, but it came in upside down. I checked my text style just to make sure that it wasn't set to upside down, it's not. I went back through & checked my dim style, but that looks fine as well. I then went & checked my UCS, it is still world, like I had set it originally. does anyone have any ideas on why the dims are upside down?

*my dimassoc is already set to 2, also*

has the drawing been rotated by 180 degrees? or USC changed?

mom of 3
2007-09-12, 01:24 PM
has the drawing been rotated by 180 degrees? or USC changed?
nope

.chad
2007-09-12, 01:39 PM
there is a dimflip lisp that might fix them after the fact. is it possible that the old drawing was done with the ucs rotated also. we have lots of old drawings around here and things are always screwy in them.

mom of 3
2007-09-12, 01:50 PM
is it possible that the old drawing was done with the ucs rotated also. we have lots of old drawings around here and things are always screwy in them.
see my original post - the original base drawing was not rotated, it was set to UCS world.

mom of 3
2007-09-12, 02:03 PM
I think I'm definitely the resident coconut.............:banghead:

when I created my text style, I hadn't checked the "match text orientation to layout" box...........duh! the vport had been changed via dview, therefore, it had rotated. I'm a dork!

mom of 3
2007-09-12, 02:38 PM
well, I thought I'd answered my own question............it just happened again. I drew the first text, it looked fine, I drew another one, it came in upside down - WTF! I drew another one just to see what it'd do, it looks fine.
:confused:
anyone?

Capt. Computer Crasher
2007-09-12, 03:18 PM
well, I thought I'd answered my own question............it just happened again. I drew the first text, it looked fine, I drew another one, it came in upside down - WTF! I drew another one just to see what it'd do, it looks fine.
:confused:
anyone?

which direction did you draw it or did you just pick the line? the upside down dim try mirroring it line at midpoint

mom of 3
2007-09-12, 03:31 PM
which direction did you draw it or did you just pick the line? the upside down dim try mirroring it line at midpoint
I tried drawing it both left to right & right to left.
I just tried mirror, it didn't budge.

Capt. Computer Crasher
2007-09-12, 03:35 PM
I tried drawing it both left to right & right to left.
I just tried mirror, it didn't budge.

mirror the line not the dimension

mom of 3
2007-09-12, 03:44 PM
mirror the line not the dimension
my building line?

Capt. Computer Crasher
2007-09-12, 03:46 PM
my building line?

yes, the line you are trying to dimension.

mom of 3
2007-09-12, 03:48 PM
that entire building is a pline, but I will explode it & see if that makes a difference.

Capt. Computer Crasher
2007-09-12, 03:58 PM
that entire building is a pline, but I will explode it & see if that makes a difference.

well if the entire thing a pline then it probably won't make a difference. It is just odd that the others are ok. I have mirrored lines in the past and it has worked. Now I don't know.

.chad
2007-09-12, 04:04 PM
see my original post - the original base drawing was not rotated, it was set to UCS world.

sorry, i misread it. can you post the drawing?

mom of 3
2007-09-12, 04:21 PM
well that suggestion worked..........so now I can't dim plines???? that doesn't make sense to me........most of our buildings are drawn as plines in case the footprint needs to move, but doesn't change shape or size. that bites........

*edit...........
it suddenly didn't work again.............

mom of 3
2007-09-12, 04:24 PM
sorry, i misread it. can you post the drawing?
I'll try to email you a generic version...........we're not allowed to post our drawings......

Capt. Computer Crasher
2007-09-12, 06:15 PM
well that suggestion worked..........so now I can't dim plines???? that doesn't make sense to me........most of our buildings are drawn as plines in case the footprint needs to move, but doesn't change shape or size. that bites........

*edit...........
it suddenly didn't work again.............

I think what happen was this: the lines were originally single lines then join into a polyline.

try drawing your own polyline and diming it. if it still does the same, you can always copy the polyline to a non-plot layer, explode it, and dim the lines on the non-plot layer.

mom of 3
2007-09-12, 06:24 PM
I think what happen was this: the lines were originally single lines then join into a polyline.

try drawing your own polyline and diming it. if it still does the same, you can always copy the polyline to a non-plot layer, explode it, and dim the lines on the non-plot layer.
that sounds like a pain in the ***!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
my building was drawn as a continuous pline to begin with, though. I'm the one who drew it initially! :?

Lemons
2007-09-14, 02:56 PM
Make sure the units angle is set clockwise and the base direction is 0. Both are found in the Units dialog box. I've seen screwy things happen when these were set differently.

jaberwok
2007-09-14, 04:15 PM
Make sure the units angle is set clockwise and the base direction is 0. Both are found in the Units dialog box. I've seen screwy things happen when these were set differently.

Not ccw?

CADDmanVA
2007-09-14, 11:36 PM

Not ccw?

Clockwise positive rotation? Arg! Reminds me of Photoshop. :banghead:

mom of 3
2007-09-17, 12:44 PM
I'm still getting upside down dims, even with making the adjustments in the units dialog box.
:banghead: